• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

All these "what makes this sound?" threads got me to remembering....

We were doing night jumps over Perdido Key, AL and landing on the beach in front of the FloraBama Beach Bar. The wind was forecasted out of the south less than10 kt’s and we exited at 14,000ft just past the surf line. Going through 9,000ft. I felt the wind shift to the north and began pushing me out towards the Gulf.

I turned and tracked into the wind to try and stay over the beach but was making little progress. I normally pull at 4000 on night jumps but was afraid if I pulled high I would end up in the water at 2230 at night. So I waited until I was over the highway and pulled at 2200 and decided to turn in tight on the beach side of a condo and use it to block the wind. I turned in real tight and fast on the west side of the building and just as I went by the top floor I caught a glimpse of two people sitting on the end balcony and a spilt second later heard glass breaking and a guy yelling “what the **** was that!”

I landed on the beach with no problems and always wondered what they thought I was or the story they tell. On a side note we had two other jumpers end up in the drink. Getting salt water out of skydiving gear is pain.

ReadyAgileBluebreastedkookaburra-max-1mb.gif

We were doing night jumps over Perdido Key, AL and landing on the beach in front of the FloraBama Beach Bar. The wind was forecasted out of the south less than10 kt’s and we exited at 14,000ft just past the surf line. Going through 9,000ft. I felt the wind shift to the north and began pushing me out towards the Gulf.

I turned and tracked into the wind to try and stay over the beach but was making little progress. I normally pull at 4000 on night jumps but was afraid if I pulled high I would end up in the water at 2230 at night. So I waited until I was over the highway and pulled at 2200 and decided to turn in tight on the beach side of a condo and use it to block the wind. I turned in real tight and fast on the west side of the building and just as I went by the top floor I caught a glimpse of two people sitting on the end balcony and a spilt second later heard glass breaking and a guy yelling “what the **** was that!”

I landed on the beach with no problems and always wondered what they thought I was or the story they tell. On a side note we had two other jumpers end up in the drink. Getting salt water out of skydiving gear is pain.
I wish I could’ve seen that, probably would’ve cracked a rib or something from laughing too hard. Lol!

Lol!

In the summer of ‘79 I had been working a lot of long hours, I got home that night around 2:30 am and decided to sit on the steps to have a smoke before going in. About halfway through my cigarette everything just went dead silet, no crickets no frogs no nothing. We lived in a pretty rural area with thousands of acres of woods behind us. About 10-15 seconds after it got quiet I heard this blood curdling roaring kinda sound that was so freakin loud I could feel it, but it sounded like it was really deep in the woods, like 500-600 yds at least. It gave me a serious case of the creeps so I went in the house. Only heard it once and have never heard it again until I was bored one day and went down the youtube rabbit hole and ran up on this recording. The 2nd howl/roar in the recording sounds exactly like what I heard that night, WTF was THAT?!?! It was way louder than any animal I’ve ever heard in a zoo, bet it would scare the **** out of a lion. Lol!

In the summer of ‘79 I had been working a lot of long hours, I got home that night around 2:30 am and decided to sit on the steps to have a smoke before going in. About halfway through my cigarette everything just went dead silet, no crickets no frogs no nothing. We lived in a pretty rural area with thousands of acres of woods behind us. About 10-15 seconds after it got quiet I heard this blood curdling roaring kinda sound that was so freakin loud I could feel it, but it sounded like it was really deep in the woods, like 500-600 yds at least. It gave me a serious case of the creeps so I went in the house. Only heard it once and have never heard it again until I was bored one day and went down the youtube rabbit hole and ran up on this recording. The 2nd howl/roar in the recording sounds exactly like what I heard that night, WTF was THAT?!?! It was way louder than any animal I’ve ever heard in a zoo, bet it would scare the **** out of a lion. Lol!

That’s freaky. Need to play that real loud when the Covid police show up.

Bobcats and panthers both have a distinct caterwaul that many people describe as sounding similar to a woman’s scream. Definitely not what you want to here in the woods at night. I feel like a lot of the “Bigfoot’s” sounds may be that. Not saying I don’t believe in Bigfoot but if it is real it’s living out in remote wilderness as far away from people as possible. So no I doubt anyone has a Bigfoot running around their GA deer lease lol. Wild hogs also can get very vocal when fighting with one another and I can tell you first hand that it can be spine chilling to hear in the dark.

This is me up at my new digs out in the deep woods. Lotsa crazy noises at night across the river, which is National Forest. Love my new Warrior O Light when I take the dog out at night. I can light up a whole city block with this damn light and scare away baba yaga!

Back
Top Bottom