• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

All these "what makes this sound?" threads got me to remembering....

palmettomoon

Army Icon Super Lifetime Supporter 1
NRA Life Member Wayne LaPierre & Chris Cox Hater
227   0
Reaction score
an incident up in Travelers Rest, SC about 30 years ago, around Midnight, at a campsite on my FIL's gun range. We weren't drinking, smoking or anything like that, just sitting around a dying campfire about to turn in for the night for a day's shooting the next. Suddenly, we heard whooshing sounds like wings flapping.....BIG wings...... A very large animal was silhouetted against the stars visible through the trees, moving in a Northerly direction and limbs from the pine trees under which we were camped started cracking and raining down on and around us. Some of the limbs were as big around as a shotgun barrel and long or longer. A lot of limbs. It made a screeching howl sound that froze the blood in your veins. I've never heard anything like it before or since.

Needless to say, not one person (5 of us) slept a wink all the rest of the night. I know I was staring up at the sky through the tree tops as wide-eyed as Barney Fife in the Haunted House episode, twitching at every little sound.

Anyone else heard or saw something while hunting or camping that didn't seem normal or may have been "otherwordly?"

Not counting the nekkid dude on @araomd 's land with the alien PVC vent pipes sticking out of the ground.

an incident up in Travelers Rest, SC about 30 years ago, around Midnight, at a campsite on my FIL's gun range. We weren't drinking, smoking or anything like that, just sitting around a dying campfire about to turn in for the night for a day's shooting the next. Suddenly, we heard whooshing sounds like wings flapping.....BIG wings...... A very large animal was silhouetted against the stars visible through the trees, moving in a Northerly direction and limbs from the pine trees under which we were camped started cracking and raining down on and around us. Some of the limbs were as big around as a shotgun barrel and long or longer. A lot of limbs. It made a screeching howl sound that froze the blood in your veins. I've never heard anything like it before or since.

Needless to say, not one person (5 of us) slept a wink all the rest of the night. I know I was staring up at the sky through the tree tops as wide-eyed as Barney Fife in the Haunted House episode, twitching at every little sound.

Anyone else heard or saw something while hunting or camping that didn't seem normal or may have been "otherwordly?"

Not counting the nekkid dude on @araomd 's land with the alien PVC vent pipes sticking out of the ground.

Pterodactyl?

I caught a glimpse of a panther once. No doubt about it, the land was by an old hog farm and was over run with feral hogs so it had an abundant food supply. I’m not gonna call it a black panther like some people do but I have no doubt it was a panther. It was easily 6’ from tail to head.

Representing TR! I used to go up there to hike and spend my paychecks at Sunrift.

Anyhow, probably was a barn owl. They make a blood curdling noise to be sure.

Back
Top Bottom