• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Alabama White Bar-B-Que Sauce

I had never heard of Big Bob Gibson until this thread, now lookie what I found at Little Giant:

IMG_1317.jpg

Clearly it is for CHICKEN. BIG BOB has spoken...

Vinegar sauce with a little heat (red pepper flakes) is the purest form of eating BBQ. Kansas City style sauce should NEVER be put on pulled pork but it's okay for ribs if used as a glaze. Carolina mustard based sauces are fun, kind of like being Baptist but having a Jewish girlfriend.

I assume the OP is talking about a beef brisket so I'll bow out of the thread now since that ain't real bbq.

Oh but Lordy it's good if done right... Terry Black's brisket is astounding. Had never had beef brisket worth ordering again until I moved to Texas.

The pulled pork I've had out here (only a couple of times) was fine, but I've had better for sure in Georgia. But not beef brisket.

And HEB sells way better quality steaks than Kroger. These Texans do seem to know their way around a cow.

Back to that white sauce... I need to try that, though I'd rather have cayenne than horseradish for "heat". Would ruin the color though.

I like a vinegary sauce in general but nothing at all with brisket.

It’s great on poultry, I favor the vinegar based for my beef and pork!

I’ve got a Bob Gibson cookbook, some good stuff!

I participate in a BBQ forum, and there is a consensus among a certain group of serious competitors that you can't make a sauce too sweet for the current judges, especially at big events, where the judges tend to not be very experienced.

I used to vend BBQ and my homemade sauce was a Carolina vinegar sauce. My "red" sauce KC Masterpiece cut 50/50 with Karo syrup. got that idea from the forum. Some of the competitors used Honey to make if more sweet. People loved it, wanted the recipe all the time = told 'em couldn't (embarrassed) give it out.

Back
Top Bottom