• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Airbags in used vehicles. Is there any way to tell if they will work or not and do they go bad?

Since many used vehicles from the 70's to 1998 had airbags and they were not mandated until 1998 for all vehicles how do you know if they will work? If you buy one of these used vehicles is there a way to know whether
They are made from recycled condoms of course I can go to bad!

Since many used vehicles from the 70's to 1998 had airbags and they were not mandated until 1998 for all vehicles how do you know if they will work? If you buy one of these used vehicles is there a way to know whether
For those buying a 25 to 30 year old vehicle, the top priority is probably not the latest safety features.
My understanding is the cost of replacing air bags will in many cases exceed the value of the vehicle.

RDT_20211214_1953207949001641367378679.jpg

I have a 2005 Dodge Ram with the passenger side Takata airbag recall. They say they will replace it for free but what they don't say is what my dealer told me. We might break off the plastic tabs of the dash or crack the dash altogether while doing the replacement. My dash has no cracks and the dealer says if they damage my dash they won't repair the damage. I've looked at replacing it and it's not difficult but they won't just give me the airbag either.

For those buying a 25 to 30 year old vehicle, the top priority is probably not the latest safety features.
My understanding is the cost of replacing air bags will in many cases exceed the value of the vehicle.
The cost of the bags usually exceeds the value of the car if the car is more than three years old.

Does the airbag/SRS light come on when you put the key in and then go off when you start it? If so then it's probably fine.

But like others have pointed out, if you are buying a 30yr old car there are no guarantees.

I had a wreck in my new 2003 Mitsubishi Montero Sport. Idiot girl ran a red light, panicked, and stopped across my lane, as I was coming through a green light at 45. I managed to hit the brake and horn before I hit her (split second recaction) and my left thumb was almost taken off by the airbag. It was cut to the bone both above and below. I would not have been injured if it hadn't gone off, I had my seatbelt on and the bruises to prove it. I don't like airbags.

I had a wreck in my new 2003 Mitsubishi Montero Sport. Idiot girl ran a red light, panicked, and stopped across my lane, as I was coming through a green light at 45. I managed to hit the brake and horn before I hit her (split second recaction) and my left thumb was almost taken off by the airbag. It was cut to the bone both above and below. I would not have been injured if it hadn't gone off, I had my seatbelt on and the bruises to prove it. I don't like airbags.

Never wrap your thumbs around the steering wheel when you drive, especially through intersections. I've known a lot of people to get injured that way

Back
Top Bottom