• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Aftermarket stereo

DADI03

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
97   0
Reaction score
Anyone here ever install there own aftermarket radio and speakers. Im looking for some help and pointers. I think l have everything I need. But id like to buy a different head unit. I want one with blue tooth abilities. This will probably be a couple months out. I have some more work to do to the truck before I'm ready for it. But I'm getting closer.

What kind of truck and does it have the original stereo? I did custom installs back in the day. Now I just tinker. Make these portable boomcases now. They are bluetooth with no head unit.
IMG_20210710_110313_Bokeh.jpg

I was an installer with World Hi-Fi for a few years after high school. Depends on your truck. You can install a single DIN unit in an older truck, but you will have to cut the dash. Newer model trucks are all over the place.

Double DIN vs single DIN.

DIN-Double-DIN-1-1200x800.jpg

Old school shaft type, but may or may not be Bluetooth compatible depending on the model.

res-s0880_ql.jpg

Look up aftermarket stuff on crutchfield...... they’ll have fit and cones w/install stuff...... easy
Very helpful staff too. Plastic pry bars get used more times than you'd think. Worth it for interior panels with pop rivets and such.

Also, if you're going bigger, a dedicated amp on your speakers goes a long way and is definitely worth it over just running on the measley power from the head unit.

I was an installer with World Hi-Fi for a few years after high school. Depends on your truck. You can install a single DIN unit in an older truck, but you will have to cut the dash. Newer model trucks are all over the place.

Double DIN vs single DIN.

View attachment 3368610

Old school shaft type, but may or may not be Bluetooth compatible depending on the model.

View attachment 3368613

It's a 92 F150. It will need to be the slimmer of the units. No good way to cut the dash to make a bigger one look good that I know of but I could be wrong. I have a pretty good working knowledge of this stuff but getting the extra power is something I'm not real sure of. I can do the work if someone can layout what plugs into what. I have MB mids and tweets that come with there own little box (not real sure what it's called but it's for sound distribution between the tweet and the mids) and an amp.

img.justparts.com_uImage_967869A8_A5CA_4781_BD5D_063AB8D55025.JPG

That's what the dash looks like. I don't really see how a larger head unit could be made to fit, but I'm not an expert in this area.

Back
Top Bottom