• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Advice needed - I harvested my first @ 2 gallons of honey today

The best honey I've ever tasted is Colorado Star Thistle honey.
colorado_star_thistle_honey-800x600.jpg

My grandad had hives all over a couple of counties. For the most part they were at the edge of cow pastures that had a lot of clover. It was always pretty good but stronger tasting than sour wood I have had. He was a preacher so he knew a lot of folks that had farms

This is my 2nd year at beekeeping, and I had my first full honey super today. We robbed the bees, took the frames inside (kitchen), uncapped, and spun the honey. We only had 9 frames (10th not capped), and I think we got over 2 gallons of honey.

I hope you saved the cappings. You can melt them down, filter and pour into blocks. Then when you have enough bees wax, you can make candles and other stuff with.

I hope you saved the cappings. You can melt them down, filter and pour into blocks. Then when you have enough bees wax, you can make candles and other stuff with.
Yes sir! I also had one comb blow out in the spinner. And I've been saving all the burr comb. I am going to do a beeswax meltdown soon! It does have some debris in it. I am wondering; should I strain it through cheesecloth, or just let the debris settle to the bottom/top?

From what I have seen, you would want to strain it for best results. I do not or have I ever had anything to do with bee keeping, but have watched a ton of youtube videos on it. Almost everyone has done 1-3 filterings from what I have seen. The more you filter, the higher quality wax you get, but you do loose some each time.

This is my 2nd year at beekeeping, and I had my first full honey super today. We robbed the bees, took the frames inside (kitchen), uncapped, and spun the honey. We only had 9 frames (10th not capped), and I think we got over 2 gallons of honey.

Here's the strange thing. My honey is very dark (darker than anything I've seen for honey). It also has a strange taste. It does not have the typical flower taste; but rather, has a deeper, almost molasses like taste. My brother said it tastes like wood.

Anybody with beekeeping experience want to chime in on what might be going on? I am in a very wooded area, near the lake, and there are no new developments going in anywhere around me.
I bet it's delicious on some buttered biscuits :hungry::hungry:

Damn, y'all started talking about bees and I noticed coming in today that my neighbors let someone place a lot of bee hives in there pasture. They had a trailer load and I started to turn around to tell them about our black bear that roams through half a dozen times a year.

Back
Top Bottom