• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Advice needed - I harvested my first @ 2 gallons of honey today

rlmblm21

Default rank <1250 posts Lifetime Supporter
ODT Junkie!
13   0
Reaction score
This is my 2nd year at beekeeping, and I had my first full honey super today. We robbed the bees, took the frames inside (kitchen), uncapped, and spun the honey. We only had 9 frames (10th not capped), and I think we got over 2 gallons of honey.

Here's the strange thing. My honey is very dark (darker than anything I've seen for honey). It also has a strange taste. It does not have the typical flower taste; but rather, has a deeper, almost molasses like taste. My brother said it tastes like wood.

Anybody with beekeeping experience want to chime in on what might be going on? I am in a very wooded area, near the lake, and there are no new developments going in anywhere around me.

So far, everyone's honey has been darker than normal. One of our master beekeepers thinks it was because of the tulip poplars this year. Our's was very dark this time. Didn't notice a woodsy flavor, but I am a tobacco user and don't have that keen of taste buds anyway.

rlmblm21 rlmblm21

The bottle on the left is this years, the one on the right is last years. See the difference in color. Same hive, just different harvesting:

FullSizeRender.jpg

lftd&pwrstrok'n lftd&pwrstrok'n , I wish you were closer. I could use a fellow beekeeper's eye here!

Do you have a local beekeepers association? I have found that to be the biggest source of information and help so far. I know it is a bit of a drive, but Coweta Beekeeper's meets every 2nd Monday at 6:30. We have people from as far away as the Rome area that drive down. We are a sustainable beekeepers club.

I do have a local club. The Cherokee Beekeepers. And I am a member. I also have a few friends in that club, but they are quite busy, so not sure when I'll see them. I am going to try to take my honey over to them and have them give me some opinion.

I did post on the Cherokee Beekeepers Facebook, and already got one response. She told me that dark honey was actually better, and that, living by the lake, I probably had Poplar, Holly and Maple honey. That might explain why my brother said it tastes like wood. She told me that my honey was quite desirable. I just have a hard time believing that, since it doesn't taste like any honey I've ever had before. To each his own, I guess.

I do have a local club. The Cherokee Beekeepers. And I am a member. I also have a few friends in that club, but they are quite busy, so not sure when I'll see them. I am going to try to take my honey over to them and have them give me some opinion.

I did post on the Cherokee Beekeepers Facebook, and already got one response. She told me that dark honey was actually better, and that, living by the lake, I probably had Poplar, Holly and Maple honey. That might explain why my brother said it tastes like wood. She told me that my honey was quite desirable. I just have a hard time believing that, since it doesn't taste like any honey I've ever had before. To each his own, I guess.

I have seen that everyone, is saying that their honey is dark. A friend of mine commented about how dark his was this year and the past president of our association/master beekeeper said it was the tulip poplar. I guess we will find out more information at the next meeting since no one had started harvesting at the last meeting yet (or at least I did not hear anyone talking about it). We have changed nothing since last year's harvest, so unless someone in the general 2 mile radius around our hives planted tulip poplars (and a lot of them); I have no definitive answer as to the why. If dark honey is more desirable, perhaps I should raise my prices? :)

I buy from a local guy.
The sourwood is in the fall. (Sweet/ etc)
The spring batch is more "medicinal"
Save some for next allergy season.
I happen to like the taste.
It really depends on what is around for the bees.
I will ask him today if I see him.

Back
Top Bottom