• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Advice for my first .223 Remington loads

Adam5

Default rank <1500 posts
ODT Junkie!
147   1
Reaction score
I need a little guidance on load data. On normally go a friend to helps and teaches me to load with a load in mind, then we discuss it prior starting. Sometimes he agrees with my load, others he says that after 30 years experience he finds that load XYZ works better, and explains why.

Since November I have loaded 9mm, 10mm, .38spl, .357mag, and .45acp under his guidance and mentorship. When loading a cartridge for the first time I normally start at a midrange load and work up to his pet load, or until I get the feel and accuracy I want.

Tomorrow we’re loading my first rifle rounds. I have 100 prepped .223 brass primed with CCI 400 primers. I have settled on Hornady 55gr fmj-bt, and Varget powder. The load data I see in my Hornady, Hodgdon, and Lyman books show a wide range, including compressed loads.

Hornady shows 22.8 - 26.4
Hodgdon shows 25.5 - 27.5 compressed
Lyman shows 25 - 27.8 compressed

I’m thinking of starting at 26gr, which is towards the high end of Hornady, and mid range for Hodgdon and Lyman.

Does anyone else use use a similar load? The rifle is a 16” barrel 1/7 twist AR.

I need a little guidance on load data. On normally go a friend to helps and teaches me to load with a load in mind, then we discuss it prior starting. Sometimes he agrees with my load, others he says that after 30 years experience he finds that load XYZ works better, and explains why.

Since November I have loaded 9mm, 10mm, .38spl, .357mag, and .45acp under his guidance and mentorship. When loading a cartridge for the first time I normally start at a midrange load and work up to his pet load, or until I get the feel and accuracy I want.

Tomorrow we’re loading my first rifle rounds. I have 100 prepped .223 brass primed with CCI 400 primers. I have settled on Hornady 55gr fmj-bt, and Varget powder. The load data I see in my Hornady, Hodgdon, and Lyman books show a wide range, including compressed loads.

Hornady shows 22.8 - 26.4
Hodgdon shows 25.5 - 27.5 compressed
Lyman shows 25 - 27.8 compressed

I’m thinking of starting at 26gr, which is towards the high end of Hornady, and mid range for Hodgdon and Lyman.

Does anyone else use use a similar load? The rifle is a 16” barrel 1/7 twist AR.
but 26gr sounds fine.

I would not recommend varget for lighter grain bullets. This is bad. It runs way hotter using slow powders like that in light projectiles. IF your using 55 grain bullets, you want something like H322, H335, AA2230, N133, Benchmark, RL10x. and they are more economical for you too:)

In a 16inch Ar15, I have gotten better than 1 moa out to 300 yards with 26grains Varget, a Fed Small Rifle Primer, and a 62 grain bullet. So, I believe 26 Varget will work fine with the 55 grain bullet you are using.

If you are not committed to the 55 grain bullet, I believe a 68 to 77 grain bullet would serve you better with Varget and your 1/7 twist barrel. That is not to say the 55 will not work okay for you, but it is not a statistically best choice. However, until you try it, you never know; it might be fantastic.

In a 16inch Ar15, I have gotten better than 1 moa out to 300 yards with 26grains Varget, a Fed Small Rifle Primer, and a 62 grain bullet. So, I believe 26 Varget will work fine with the 55 grain bullet you are using.

If you are not committed to the 55 grain bullet, I believe a 68 to 77 grain bullet would serve you better with Varget and your 1/7 twist barrel. That is not to say the 55 will not work okay for you, but it is not a statistically best choice. However, until you try it, you never know; it might be fantastic.

I loaded 100 with 55gr FMJ projectiles and 25.5gr of Varget. Next weekend I’ll be loading some 60gr V-Max for home defense and some 62gr FMJ target loads.

It’s been a busy two nights for using a hand press to process .223/5.56 brass for next weekend. In the process I have learned a lot about brass quality. If it resizes easily, it’s Winchester, PMC, Hornady, Remington or Lake City brass. If it’s hard to resize, it’s S&B or IMI. If it won’t fit in a Hornady #16 shell holder, it’s Wolf brass.

Last night and today, I’ve gotten 200 sized, trimmed, chamfered, deburred, primed, and ready to load. Another 240 have just been sized.

If I may suggest
1. Light load + light projectile = light recoil.
2. Heavy load + heavy bullet = heavy recoil.

#1 $$$ < #2$$$

Brass gets harder every time you shoot it, eventually the necks will crack if you don't anneal them.

When picking a load make a set of rounds that are loaded with a spread of power weights (there are several strategies) from the low to high of the recommended load chart. From a bench fire the rounds and watch the bullet strike rise on target and once they stop rising you are at the beginning of the sweet spot. Going hotter may cause the group to collapse more and tolerate wind better but its also hard on equipment and not needed if you're not shooting mid range (600yrds) or longer.

16" 1/7, use light load or get big fireballs, faster power better for less fireball and more velocity. Faster powders are usually indicated by lighter load weights when compared side by side for a certain velocity and bullet weight.

There are a wide number of real important safety factors to consider, there is no substitute for working up a load, the two key works being work and up, start low and look for the peak.

Accuracy doesn't happen by accident.

Back
Top Bottom