• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Adventures on St. George Island.

Bear44

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
213   0
Reaction score
I got here just before the Sun set. This is the view from my back deck.
20210508_202047.jpg

That wooden walkway leads to the dock. Within a minute after I got there what I think was a big Redfish hammered something on the surface.

Haven't posted much because there's not much to tell. I was amazed at how little boat traffic I saw on the bay when I got here. Now I know why.

With the slightest bad weather or wind, conditions go to hell fast and there's not much you can do about it. No good protected areas to wait it out and only one ramp that is suitable for me to launch from, so the vast majority of the area is out of reach. Yesterday I finally said to hell with it and just went. That was a mistake. Storms moved in with little warning and it was very dicey getting back to the ramp. Very dicey. And I was on the lee side of a long jetty. If I had been windward I don't think there is a chance in hell I would have made.

The bay is great when the weather is good, but things just change too fast here. I would actually be getting more fishing in if I had my kayak because I could put in (and get the hell out) at dozens of places with a moment's notice.

I got here just before the Sun set. This is the view from my back deck.
View attachment 3255113
It’s beautiful in that part of the gulf. We’ve been going for years nearby at Indian Pass and Cape San Blas. Going this year in August and tried to go next week at the last minute but EVERYTHING is booked solid. Guess the word is out and more people are going.

Back
Top Bottom