• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Adding 2" barrel extension to a 16" gun to make it a long gun

Which law Can you cite code? I know it doesn't when hunting but that may be conflating unrelated issues. I thought even a loaded mag "readily accessible," constituted loaded, legally.
Attmitedly it is a definition referring to handguns, however, as there is no other contradictory definition for rifle or long gun I abide by this one for loaded, "For the purposes of this Code section, a handgun is considered loaded if there is a cartridge in the chamber or cylinder of the handgun." https://advance.lexis.com/documentp...sr0&prid=101f49d7-b49e-4c4c-9f7d-51c342f0b8d1

Attmitedly it is a definition referring to handguns, however, as there is no other contradictory definition for rifle or long gun I abide by this one for loaded, "For the purposes of this Code section, a handgun is considered loaded if..."

That definition is ONLY for that particular Code section. Only for the law about persons UNDER 18 years possessing handguns.

If some other Code section uses the term "loaded" but doesn't define it, we are 'supposed to' use the plain English definition from a common dictionary, since that would likely fit with the understanding of the word as used by Georgia citizens.

But a court could pull a definition of same word (or phrase) from some other Code section and announce it shall apply here, too.

The Ga. Supreme Court and Court of Appeals recently approved taking a caselaw-based definition of "private property" as developed in property tax disputes and applying it in gun control law cases.

I guess I am totally missing the point of this thread. A rifle is defined as having a barrel of 16" or longer, a shotgun is 18" or longer. Adding 2" to a 16" rifle does absolutely nothing to the definition of that weapon. Now if it had a 14" barrel, then 2" may very well put it into a rifle category.

Rosewood

Rosewood, you're talking about federal terminology related to the Gun Control Act of 1968, the Brady bill etc.

The O.P. is talking about a Georgia law that does not use the same terminology.

The key term is (long gun)-- not rifle --and Georgia's law says long guns have barrels of 18 inches or more.

The exact law has been cited and copied in this thread already.

Rosewood, you're talking about federal terminology related to the Gun Control Act of 1968, the Brady bill etc.

The O.P. is talking about a Georgia law that does not use the same terminology.

The key term is (long gun)-- not rifle --and Georgia's law says long guns have barrels of 18 inches or more.

The exact law has been cited and copied in this thread already.
Thanks for the clarification, I skimmed thru the 4 pages of post, but missed that.

I didn't know the GA law didn't follow federal in definitions. That can be a problem for sure.

Rosewood

I'm also thinking along the lines of an active shooter response bag. So I have more time to prep the weapon say 3-5 seconds. Along with a chest rig and med kit.
Unless you are going to carry on your person even at times it’s not needed, this is a much to do about nothing.
Per Georgia Law you can carry any legal gun unrestricted in/on: your property, your vehicle, or your place of business.

Unless you are going to carry on your person even at times it’s not needed, this is a much to do about nothing.
Per Georgia Law you can carry any legal gun unrestricted in/on: your property, your vehicle, or your place of business.
You'd think gun toting Fudd Kemp would think to consider a person's own body their property but I guess that starts at 21.

Back
Top Bottom