• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Acid reflux. Anyone been able to cure it without a lifetime of Tums?

I was eating tums like candy and finally got rid of mine and haven’t had it in years now. Mine was from being fat, I quit drinking sweet tea and dropped 50lbs and haven’t had any issue since. But I also don’t eat the way I did that got me there.
^^^ This here. Had it so bad it was waking me up at night. Lost 80 pounds and haven’t had it since. YMMV. Legal Eagle

I had it pretty bad in my 20’s & 30’s, wound up with a stomach full of bleeding ulcers and a hiatal hernia. Actually ended up in the hospital getting my stomach pumped for 3 days 3 different times and mostly blood. Believe me when I tell ya, you do NOT want that to happen because I damn near bled to death 3 different times, plus the unbelievably bad experience of having a tube shoved through your nose and down your throat into the stomach. Docs tried a bunch of different meds but the only one that worked was freakin Zantac, the one that can cause cancer. I took that for almost 30 years till I heard about ACV. One week on ACV and my heartburn was GONE! Quit taking the Zantac and several years later the commercials about cancer came out, great, now not only am I at risk for esophageal cancer but now all the different cancers the Zantac can cause.
I drink the ACV mixed with cold water and have a sammich to calm the taste of the vinegar. Works like a charm and has been for about 5-6 years now and I only drink it about twice a month now.

Or just take a Prilosec once a day and never worry about it again.

I've been on a prescribed 40mgs of Nexium once daily for a long time. Works perfectly. No one "likes" having to take a medication daily or be dependent on medication but acid reflux would the last of your concerns if things are so bad that you can't get Nexium or a similar OTC medication. Acid reflux won't kill you, not short term anyway. The Cancer from the eroding Esophagus from the acid might get you but it takes a long time.

I'm 51 yo, 230# and 8-10% body fat year round. I hit the gym 5-6 days a week plus cardio and eat very clean, yet, I still have acid reflux. You can buy Nexium over the counter and try it for a week or 2 to see if it helps. Take it every day at the same time daily. Cheap simple approach to see if it resolves the issue. If so, then see the doctor to get a script and rule out other potential issues.

Diet can help, losing weight can help, Gastro surgery is mostly a temporary fix from those I know who've had it (reflux comes back after a few years) and none of those things may help at all. Most of the suggestions given are good things to help you live longer of course but most may not resolve the reflux issue. Just my opinion of course but no need to suffer if you don't have too.

Just wondering if someone has been able to find a way to cure it without taking Tums, Prilosec or Nexium the rest of your life.

What works and what doesn't?
Stop eating a **** diet of fast food and junk food. Eat in smaller portions as well.

Your meals should resemble:

iu

I've been on a prescribed 40mgs of Nexium once daily for a long time. Works perfectly. No one "likes" having to take a medication daily or be dependent on medication but acid reflux would the last of your concerns if things are so bad that you can't get Nexium or a similar OTC medication. Acid reflux won't kill you, not short term anyway. The Cancer from the eroding Esophagus from the acid might get you but it takes a long time.

I'm 51 yo, 230# and 8-10% body fat year round. I hit the gym 5-6 days a week plus cardio and eat very clean, yet, I still have acid reflux. You can buy Nexium over the counter and try it for a week or 2 to see if it helps. Take it every day at the same time daily. Cheap simple approach to see if it resolves the issue. If so, then see the doctor to get a script and rule out other potential issues.

Diet can help, losing weight can help, Gastro surgery is mostly a temporary fix from those I know who've had it (reflux comes back after a few years) and none of those things may help at all. Most of the suggestions given are good things to help you live longer of course but most may not resolve the reflux issue. Just my opinion of course but no need to suffer if you don't have too.
Exactly. Sometimes the easy fix is the right one. I've been taking Prilosec ever since it came out about 25 years ago. No side effects and absolutely no acid reflux.

Just wondering if someone has been able to find a way to cure it without taking Tums, Prilosec or Nexium the rest of your life.

I used to INHALE Tums and the WM brand of calcium stomach acid relievers before I retired. As I got older, my doctor put me on Atorvastatin calcium supplement becaues old people need calcium for their bones and I don't get what you describe anymore....but it's a prescription, once a day pill.

After my gallbladder surgery, I got reflux bad and was eating rolaids like candy. Prior to that I had to take them just about daily for years. Dr recommended Prilosec and I rarely get reflux now. Things that also helped me is reducing acidic, greasy, spicy foods and dinking more water.

Another trick I learned when my reflux was terrible back in the day was one teaspoon of baking soda in water and drink. That definitely kills it quick. No idea if that’s good for you long term, but it works better than rolaids.

As others have said, definitely see a Dr and get checked. A good friend of mine his dad died from esophageal cancer tied to reflux. He was a surgeon btw. Definitely not something to play with long term.

I had the same issue and cut sugar out of my diet, found a "loose it" APP, that was recommended by a friend (free). Lost 40 pounds and have'nt had an issue since.

Back
Top Bottom