• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Acid reflux. Anyone been able to cure it without a lifetime of Tums?

I was eating tums like candy and finally got rid of mine and haven’t had it in years now. Mine was from being fat, I quit drinking sweet tea and dropped 50lbs and haven’t had any issue since. But I also don’t eat the way I did that got me there.

Mine also seems to parallel with weight gain. I can drop 10 lbs and it'll go away. Also, stuff high in sugar or tomato sauces will light mine up.

I have zero acid reflux symptoms, and we call Mexican food in my house just food. But my doctor found that I have significant scarring in my esophagus, so I take one Protonix in the morning. No issues since.

Just wondering if someone has been able to find a way to cure it without taking Tums, Prilosec or Nexium the rest of your life.

What works and what doesn't?

I suffered my whole life. I used to carry a bottle of tums everywhere. I changed my diet and cut out dairy, sugar among other things. I no longer get heartburn. It was a miracle!!!!!!!!!

Can't give any advice that hasn't already been given. Hopefully some diet changes can help.

I was diagnosed with it when I was a KID. I realized one day after I started making my own lunches (was trying to eat healthier) that the indigestion pains didn't happen anymore. I ate school lunch another day, and what would you know it, I had indigestion later. Turned out out my problem was school cafeteria food. :/

My wife had Laparoscopic esophagofundoplasty surgery for that in 2000.
Basically they take part of the stomach and wrap it around the flap in the esophagus to stop the reflux. Has worked for her.
I had the same operation in 1997. Still working.
Loose weight.
Sleep on a wedge or raise the head of your bed up. don’t eat late, no soup, no ice cream. Reduce how much you eat and greasy things.
Try Prilosec. it will kill you.

Prilosec gave me hives so I don't take it.

Some people say that reflux is too much acid and others say it is from too little acid. I saw my GI doc yesterday and she of course gave me a prescription. I asked about all the natural ways like taking ginger and ACV and her response was "they have not been proven to help". My wife saw her GI doctor who is a different person but from the same group of doctors and he explained to her that the ACV works because it's acidic and tells your body to quit making acid. He said Tums and medications like it don't work because they neutralize the acid which causes your body to make even more.

Honestly, a keto diet worked for me. Not sure if its the weight loss or bread that does it. Pizza is the worst for my reflux, i dont think its the spaghetti sauce because i didnt get it with spaghetti. Whenever i get too heavy (40 lbs overweight for height) it seems to be really bad.

Prilosec gave me hives so I don't take it.

Some people say that reflux is too much acid and others say it is from too little acid. I saw my GI doc yesterday and she of course gave me a prescription. I asked about all the natural ways like taking ginger and ACV and her response was "they have not been proven to help". My wife saw her GI doctor who is a different person but from the same group of doctors and he explained to her that the ACV works because it's acidic and tells your body to quit making acid. He said Tums and medications like it don't work because they neutralize the acid which causes your body to make even more.

You're doctor has a big house and a nice car and she pays for it by selling dope not the truth.

Back
Top Bottom