• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Acid reflux. Anyone been able to cure it without a lifetime of Tums?

My thing is eating beyond what I should. Tomato based foods get me as well - spaghetti, pizza etc. Really savory foods get me too. Booze is another bad thing. I used to dip and the heartburn was out of this world when I did that. I take Fomatadine that the VA mails me for the issues. Sleeping certain ways and not having a bellyful of water or booze right before you go to bed will help as well. It just all pushes up stomach contents and it's gross.

Have you been checked out to make sure it's that and not something else? I had a GP in Chicago that thought I had it but I was actually having "little heart attacks" and didn't know it.

My brother too!
They thought it was acid reflux and it ended up being angina.
He had a triple bypass when they finally figured out what was going on.
He's doing very well now.

Here's my input, since no one has mentioned it. I had it so bad, I would wake up in the middle of the night bc I was throwing up on my arm. I'd wake up several times a night and eat peanut butter and drink milk bc it was the only thing that would ease the fire in my throat. I was told I have a hiatal hernia...and my teeth are badly eroded from all the acid.

I knew for sure I was going to get esophageal cancer and that was going to kill me. I had zero doubt about that.

I lived with this for about 5 years, during which time I was also having gallstone attacks. And let me tell you, those are something fiercely awful.

I made it through the 3 years of probationary period at my new job and had a gallstone attack that was severe enough to get me surgery scheduled that same night. My wife worked for a Dr and pulled some strings for me, thank God for that.

The kicker? Zero acid reflux after the surgery. None.

Get a test for your gallbladder function. It might not be the culprit, but it COULD be.

I have found alkaline water helpful and take 1 Omeprazole a day. The problem with the proton pump inhibitor is when your body gets used to it then you don't take it, all hell breaks loose.

Back
Top Bottom