• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Abandoned vehicle?

Assume it’s been stripped of its catalytic converter and any decent speakers and or radio. Locks probably been jimmied maybe steering column housing busted. Maybe windows left down and carpet /interior mildew smelly. I agree with above posting, no reason to respond, let them have it.

Why do you care if it sells for more than storage and they give you the rest and report it as income? It's free money. They can't keep the excess, of course, because that would be theft.

Write a BOS and send it back to them. Backdate it to around when you gave it away. Had to do this when i purchased a car and forgot to get it registered for 6 years (play car that needed work). Lost the original BOS so they told me to write a new one beings i remembered the persons name i purchased it from.

T-Roy T-Roy Do you have the title?
I don't. My sister was Dad's executor, so the letter came to her. She called the tow company and explained the situation and they are processing as an abandoned / no owner and we are not on the hook.

Sorrt man, she's the boss.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

I'd reply to the notice and tell the impound yard / towing company that that I sold that vehicle, and I'd offer them a copy of the bill of sale (it protects you, you know) if you have it.

Sure, you don't "have to" cooperate, but if the public records of the Gov't show YOU to be the vehicle's owner, and your buyer never filed for the title in his name, you could be charged with the offense of abandoning the vehicle or having a derelict / nuisance vehicle.

See this Code section. I haven't read it all, BTW, just skimmed it.

https://law.justia.com/codes/georgia/2018/title-40/chapter-11/article-1/section-40-11-9/

I had this same situation happen to me. Sold a 1989 Doge Omni around the year 1993. The next year, 1994, I get a letter from a wrecking yard saying it's been damaged in an accident and was found abandoned weeks prior. I wrote back (or visited them personally? I forget) and told 'em that I sold it the year before. I never heard from them, or the State, again.

I had this same situation happen to me. Sold a 1989 Doge Omni around the year 1993. The next year, 1994, I get a letter from a wrecking yard saying it's been damaged in an accident and was found abandoned weeks prior. I wrote back (or visited them personally? I forget) and told 'em that I sold it the year before. I never heard from them, or the State, again.

I finally got you!!!
Past Due Letter 1.jpg
:)

Back
Top Bottom