• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

AAR: Carbine IndividuaL & Team Tactics, March 28

cmshoot

Marines Icon
Staff member
197   0
Reaction score
It was a very short notice course, so I had just a small crew of the usual suspects. It was all folks that have trained with me on numerous occasions and in various subjects.

After individual warmups, we got into team tactics.

Some of the drills:

2-man team working from opposite sides of the same piece of cover, then swapping sides. This meant that in each drill, every shooter had to engage from both the strong and support side of cover.

Immediately after that drill, we ran 2 teams of 2 at the same time, about 8 yards apart. Each team would engage from their assigned cover, then 1 from each team would communicate with each other and swap cover/teams. This drill is designed to make the 2 students communicate over distance, and move simultaneously, while the other 2 students provide critical covering fire at the right moment.

We worked some covered movement / bounding overwatch drills. Each team started about 80 yards from the targets, and moved forward, using the provided cover. One covers/fires while the other moves. When the mover gets to the next piece of cover, he then provided cover while his partner moved. Taking turns until they got to the last piece of cover, about 15 yards from the target.

After that, we basically did the same drill in reverse, starting at 15 yards and moving back to 80. This simulates disengaging from the threat, and is known as breaking contact.

The final drill at the end of the day was was an individual drill, moving from one position to the next, always moving forward towards the threat. The student started on an elevated porch 212 yards away from the reactive steel target. After engaging from that position, they started moving forwards from one position to the next. Some were trees, some were storage buildings, some were barrels. Counting the starting position on the porch, there were 8 positions total, with the final one being approximately 40 yards from the target.

The pics are all from that final drill.

Burning Love Burning Love
l33571 l33571

CB2A193A-E77F-44A5-BED7-2566F479EFCC.jpeg
42512BB8-AB6A-4CE1-9CAA-57E9140E2801.jpeg
D7520614-07EF-475E-B674-018948CD6544.jpeg
01C55859-0E53-439F-94E2-454279D547CE.jpeg
6DA25EBF-ED61-47C5-A219-699C3AD40C99.jpeg

Class was a good time! Thanks for having us out. I definitely want to work more communication and teamwork stuff in the future. It seems like that stuff needs to be trained just as much as shooting or any other skill.

Class was a good time! Thanks for having us out. I definitely want to work more communication and teamwork stuff in the future. It seems like that stuff needs to be trained just as much as shooting or any other skill.

It’s an important skill, if you plan on bring anything other than a Lone Wolf. For folks here that routinely hang out with another gun guy, teamwork training is critical.

Burning Love Burning Love is the second-best looking guy in the pics above, so he’s easy to spot.

It’s an important skill, if you plan on bring anything other than a Lone Wolf. For folks here that routinely hang out with another gun guy, teamwork training is critical.

That's the part that always gets me as well. Even after several teamwork classes, it's always something you forget to do. The other part is hearing the comms. Even with electronic ear pro on, it is sometimes hard to hear the other person.

Another great class. Switching sides while shooting on that final drill was interesting to say the least. Wasn't a requirement for the drill. I did it just to see if I could hit stuff further away using the technique. Worked out good and was confidence builder for sure. Train and practice. It eventually pays off. :)

Also a big thanks to cmshoot cmshoot for having this class. It was a welcome break from the lockdown B.S.

Back
Top Bottom