• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Aaaaaagh Stuck Case in Sizing Die

I’ve not tried all the lubes, but the ones I’ve tried all work. I never tried imperial sizing wax which is supposed to be the best thing ever in the universe just going off what I read. I’ve stuck a few and it was my fault and not a lube failure. A 13/64” bit or number 7 bit with a 1/4-20 tap and a bolt along with a socket and a stack of washers always got them out. It happens infrequently but frequently enough that I have the kit in an old Sierra bullet box.

I use a a rinse strainer and put a good bit of brass in it. The I swirl the strainer around while I spray the dry lube on the cases. Easy to do 50 or 100 at a time depending on what size colander you have.

I also put 50 brass in the holder and spray a Q-tip with the lube and make one turn around the inside the rim of the casings. Never hurts to go the extra step to avoid a machine down due to a stuck casing.

Hornady One Shot in a Ziplok bag works great.
This works great with .223, .357 sig and 9mm. However, I tried it on larger cases like .270 and it didn't work so well. I continue to roll lube the big cases with Unique case lube then tumble afterwards.

Rosewooe

I know I'm a little late to this thread but it is on my mind because stuck case happened to me a couple of weeks ago. And I don't mean once, it happened three times in one day! I was loading 5.7X28 and the head on those things are so thin that they will just rip off if not careful. I guess I wasn't careful that particular day.

I normally use RCBS lube on an ink pad and that day, it was what I was using (the first time). When that first one stuck and I finally got it out of the die, I got out my Imperial Wax and the very next case stuck. FInally got it out and a little while later, the third time happened, again with the Imperial Wax. I got that out and quit for the day. It took more time removing stuck cases than it did loading 150 rounds of those little pain-in-the-butt 5.7 rounds.

I have never had one stick. I put my brass in a big plastic colander and shake it around and spray it with dry lube. Be generous. Then I shoot a quick shot up into the dye. After every 25 brass I so another quick shot up into the die. They will never stick. I use the Dry lube in the red can. Always a smooth delivery and a nice smooth retreat. Try it you will like it. I also take a q-tip and dip in some of the dry lube I spray in a little puddle in the cap. I swirl it around the inside the case mouth. Before I fill with powder. Since it's dry the powder doesn't stick. Then the projectiles slide right in with no chance of neck deformation.

I’ve not tried all the lubes, but the ones I’ve tried all work. I never tried imperial sizing wax which is supposed to be the best thing ever in the universe just going off what I read. I’ve stuck a few and it was my fault and not a lube failure. A 13/64” bit or number 7 bit with a 1/4-20 tap and a bolt along with a socket and a stack of washers always got them out. It happens infrequently but frequently enough that I have the kit in an old Sierra bullet box.
I make my own...10 ounces of lanolin 8oz of 90 percent isopropyl, be sure to use the alcohol with the least amount of water, shake that around and put it in a spray bottle...same stuff Dillon and others sell ya for a pretty proud price, don’t forget to shake the lube before using because the lanolin and isopropyl will separate with time...I’ve loaded 10 of thousands of rounds with this, and never a problem, never a problem with the primers or powder...make your own!

I make my own...10 ounces of lanolin 8oz of 90 percent isopropyl, be sure to use the alcohol with the least amount of water, shake that around and put it in a spray bottle...same stuff Dillon and others sell ya for a pretty proud price, don’t forget to shake the lube before using because the lanolin and isopropyl will separate with time...I’ve loaded 10 of thousands of rounds with this, and never a problem, never a problem with the primers or powder...make your own!
I use the same except I use only 99% isopropyl. Then I put some ball bearings in every sprayer. So all I have to do is pick it up and give it a couple quick shakes to mix it all up. I have never had one issue yet…..

Back
Top Bottom