• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Aaaaaagh Stuck Case in Sizing Die

madcow

Default rank <1000 posts
Frontiersman
94   0
Reaction score
Was sizing a huge batch of 308 Win, and it never fails, I always get a case stuck and have to pound it out with the de-capping rod.

I knew there was a reason I quit doing big batches of rifle loads.

when i de-primed/sized rifle cases i use old school lube. but,,,, i do it different than normal. i clean the cases in the ultra vibe 18 tumbler with pet store walnut lizard bedding. then i take old school lube and place some lube on a inside case mouth cleaning brush. i run the brush with the old school lube on it on the inside of the case mouth. then i throw the case into a can. i do large batches at a time. by the time i have all the cases lube on the inside of the mouth/neck area and placed in the can the old school lube has moved to the outside of the cases. in where the outside of the neck/shoulder now has lube on it. i use my fingers to wipe off some of the outside lube when i am resizing the case. i don't stick a case. i don't crush a shoulder of a case. when all cases are resized/de-primed they go into the wet pin cleaner. not a fast way of doing things, but when i am making match ammo i don't worry about speed.

I wet tumble the cases, then lube the cases individually before sizing, to make sure I lube them properly. It seems that I only have problems when I use my Hornady dies, couldn't find my RCBS set and the Hornady's were in reach on the shelf.

looks like I need to order a new decap rod and expander ball.

Hornady Dies are a problem for me. I think the upside down, teardrop shaped, neck expanders are too long and positioned too high with too steep an angle on the top of the expander. I have a set in 300BLK. I have tried lots of methods, but routinely have a stuck case. Lately, I just do not use the decapping rod (after bending it while hammering). I also have one of their die sets in 243 and they require a lot of force to pull the sized case out of the sizing die, but the large case rim seems to be able to hold together.

Since I switched to Hornady's Unique Case Lube (a wax applied with the fingers of the hand you are handling the cases with) I've not had a stuck case and it's easily wiped off with a towel wet with warm water and a mild acid, like LemiShine.

Since I switched to Hornady's Unique Case Lube (a wax applied with the fingers of the hand you are handling the cases with) I've not had a stuck case and it's easily wiped off with a towel wet with warm water and a mild acid, like LemiShine.
That's the same lube I used, but I still think it's my Hornady dies, once I found my RCBS set never had another issue.

Is the Hornady die made in such a way that the RCBS stuck case set won't work?
I don't see why the RCBS stuck case remover won't work, I just don't have one.

I guess I could have duplicated the effort since I have a tap and die set, and used whatever machine bolts I had laying around with a socket as the bearing surface for leverage.

Back
Top Bottom