• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

A very good read.

Under full throttle, a dragster engine consumes 11.2 gallons of nitro methane per second; a fully loaded 747 consumes jet fuel at the same rate with 25% less energy being produced.

Im calling bull****
At this rate a jet would burn 14,400 gallons of fuel on a four hour flight
6.7lb/gal = 96,480lbs

I'm not a jumbo jet expert but....

I also know you didn't come up with all this info but when you read an article and one stat is off like this it makes the rest moot.
I'm sure drag cars are very impressive though
I think the 11.2 gallons a second should be 11/2 galls. per second, otherwise you would have 11.2x60=672 galls. per minute and 672x60=40,320 galls per hour x 4 which would equal 161,280 gallons on a 4 hour flight (or 1,080,576 lbs. if you prefer).

Not being picky here, but like a lot of stuff posted anywhere these days it needs to be viewed with a critical eye. Talk to text software is a big part of the problem, and one of the reasons I don't solicit medical or marital advice on the ODT :nod:.

I think the 11.2 gallons a second should be 11/2 galls. per second, otherwise you would have 11.2x60=672 galls. per minute and 672x60=40,320 galls per hour x 4 which would equal 161,280 gallons on a 4 hour flight (or 1,080,576 lbs. if you prefer).

Not being picky here, but like a lot of stuff posted anywhere these days it needs to be viewed with a critical eye. Text to talk software is a big part of the problem, and one of the reasons I don't solicit medical or marital advice on the ODT :nod:.
Even more to my point. I seen my error as soon as you posted this and went back to see where I came up with that number. I cannot recreate the math I fudged. It was obvious as soon as I read it myself though.
However, exactly. There are even gross indescrepencies in information countering the already false information published on the internet.

I still have a piston from a Joe Amato engine. It was autographed but due to the coating it's not longer visible. It was damaged in a run at Phoenix Firebird Dragstrip. The piston contacted a valve. They used to be able to sell the parts for souvenirs so they could recoup some of the cost of racing. NHRA changed that and last I heard that were not allowed to sell at the tracks.
Joe Amato Piston.jpg

Back
Top Bottom