• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

A Tale of Two Crush Washers, or Two Crush Washers One Barrel, and other AR oddities

You’re triggering my PTSD with these stories. Make it stop, make
It stop.

On another note, I had two 10 inch AR barrels, but I want a snapper raffle so I welded them together. I now have a 20 inch tack driver that shoots in the “teens.” Why yes, they are bear creek arsenal barrels.

It stop.

On another note, I had two 10 inch AR barrels, but I want a snapper raffle so I welded them together. I now have a 20 inch tack driver that shoots in the “teens.” Why yes, they are bear creek arsenal barrels.
Just gotta make sure you put a hose clamp on the 2nd gas port. Face it so the solid part is over the hole.

It stop.

Best thing to do would be to weld them with the muzzles together. That way, the bullet will start out spinning to the right, then abruptly spin to the left. This would totally negate spindrift, and enhance long range accuracy.

Guy bought a used Frankenpistol at the gun show. Got to the range, fired 2 rounds, then it would no longer fire. Hammer would fall, but no marks on the primer.

I began to disassemble it, and found that there was not a buffer retainer or buffer retainer spring installed.

Upon inspection, this is what I found.
D3661205-50A8-4E1D-A0ED-DB50D1426E50.jpeg
821EF0CF-B2BE-415C-836C-1FAB3D355EE3.jpeg

Guy bought a used Frankenpistol at the gun show. Got to the range, fired 2 rounds, then it would no longer fire. Hammer would fall, but no marks on the primer.

I began to disassemble it, and found that there was not a buffer retainer or buffer retainer spring installed.

Upon inspection, this is what I found.
View attachment 2965207View attachment 2965208

That’s the new full auto work around. It’s filling the void of the bump stock.

Let me guess, the retain spring has become MIA too.
My guess is the parts-put-togetherer didn’t seat the buffer tube far enough into lower to hold the retainer. I’d also venture to guess he didn’t stake the castle nut which in this case is a good thing as it will make correcting the problem much easier.

Let me guess, the retain spring has become MIA too.
My guess is the parts-put-togetherer didn’t seat the buffer tube far enough into lower to hold the retainer. I’d also venture to guess he didn’t stake the castle nut which in this case is a good thing as it will make correcting the problem much easier.

I never found the spring, so I’d say someone had the receivers apart at some time.

Castle nut was not staked, and the receiver extension was one turn shy of being screwed in enough. This combination failed to capture the buffer retainer.

It is properly assembled, and staked, now.

Back
Top Bottom