• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

A Tale of Two Crush Washers, or Two Crush Washers One Barrel, and other AR oddities

Here’s a free bit of advice. If the sound of your buffer spring bothers you, DO NOT put Flex Seal in your receiver extension to quiet it down.

PS: I will admit, it makes an AR exceptionally quiet. When you can’t chamber a round, you can’t fire it. If you can’t fire it, it’s pretty quiet.

Here’s a free bit of advice. If the sound of your buffer spring bothers you, DO NOT put Flex Seal in your receiver extension to quiet it down.

PS: I will admit, it makes an AR exceptionally quiet. When you can’t chamber a round, you can’t fire it. If you can’t fire it, it’s pretty quiet.

At least it was waterproof.

No ****ing way....

Customer brought in an AR that I had built for him out of parts that he and his buddy had selected. I remember doing the build, but not all the particulars. Barrel is 16” with a carbine length gas system.

Owner says it isn’t even attempting to cycle. I start pulling the upper apart to get to the gas block. When I get a good look at the gas block, I remember this tidbit; it’s an adjustable gas block. I check, and sure enough it’s closed all the way off.

Me: Remember when I was done with your AR, I handled you the manufacturer’s instructions and told you they were for the gas block? I told you that you’d need them?

Him: Uh......yeah......

Me: Do you still have them?

Him: Uh.....no.....

At this point I told him that there was no need for an adjustable gas block on his AR, and my recommendation would be to have me swap it out for a standard, fixed gas block. I did so and sent him on his merry way.

Guy brought in an AR that he purchased, which was built by someone else. It had several obvious issues, or less than ideal features. He had me go through it, and correct any issues, or anything I found concerning.

The receiver extension wasn’t close to being on straight. What was curious was that the guy that built it screwed that all up, but actually did a decent job of staking it. Usually when I see a receiver extension clocked like this, the extension is self is trashed. In this case, it turns out Bubba had filed down the anti-rotation tab on the receiver end plate. I can’t figure out why someone would do that, and this isn’t the first one I’ve seen like that.

I replaced the REP with a BCM model that incorporates a QD sling swivel socket, and installed it properly.
C38E6B4E-E959-41E1-AE55-F66EF1E4BE9E.jpeg
D1CFD3D1-4E28-492D-8BB2-D0461E313A34.jpeg

While putting things back together, the receiver extension snapped before I hit the torque spec. Of course, I replaced it as well.
2C216D37-CDD1-4C8C-9295-78420A013ED6.jpeg

The BCG was completely plated in what I assume was gold titanium nitride. The gas key was noticeably loose. The gun had been fired, and I have a feeling that Bubba sold it because it wasn’t functioning. On top of being loose, the carrier key screws were cheap YFS fasteners, and poorly staked. I pulled the key, cleaned under it, reinstalled using Optimized Carrier Key Screws, and staked properly.

Guy brought in an AR that he purchased, which was built by someone else. It had several obvious issues, or less than ideal features. He had me go through it, and correct any issues, or anything I found concerning.

The receiver extension wasn’t close to being on straight. What was curious was that the guy that built it screwed that all up, but actually did a decent job of staking it. Usually when I see a receiver extension clocked like this, the extension is self is trashed. In this case, it turns out Bubba had filed down the anti-rotation tab on the receiver end plate. I can’t figure out why someone would do that, and this isn’t the first one I’ve seen like that.

I replaced the REP with a BCM model that incorporates a QD sling swivel socket, and installed it properly.
View attachment 2920882View attachment 2920883

While putting things back together, the receiver extension snapped before I hit the torque spec. Of course, I replaced it as well.
View attachment 2920884

The BCG was completely plated in what I assume was gold titanium nitride. The gas key was noticeably loose. The gun had been fired, and I have a feeling that Bubba sold it because it wasn’t functioning. On top of being loose, the carrier key screws were cheap YFS fasteners, and poorly staked. I pulled the key, cleaned under it, reinstalled using Optimized Carrier Key Screws, and staked properly.
:boink: you have all the fun :yo:

Back
Top Bottom