• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

A Serious Question . . .

I thought they used .45, there was a USP that had an automatic slide lock on every shot because the action was louder than the bullet.

That's the H&K Mk23. A beautiful, huge pistol. If you run out of ammo, you can club someone to death with it. Only downside, a very small one, is that it has unique barrel threads.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heckler_&_Koch_Mark_23

IMO for factory loaded ammo, .45ACP is hard to beat for suppressed applications. The 1911 suppresses quite well, better than a USP45 Tactical in my opinion, using the same can.

An AR45 SBR works great too with that same suppressor.

A .45LC lever gun is a great option as well. (Same can)

Once you start hand loading, you have a lot of options. I have a .45-70 (Marlin 1895) that I load 405g subsonic loads for, and can run that through a pistol can. (yes, same can :becky: ) A real thumper.

For s&g I hand load 147g 7.62x51 with Trailboss for subsonic loads through my Ruger M77mk2 with Specwar. Very quiet.

PnR ammo makes a 124gr low recoil for pcc that is under 1000fps I’ve shot it and use it when they have it available.

300blk in a bolt action with a can is nice and quiet
I’m in the process of going down the 9x39 rabbit hole now. They are supposed to be very quiet as well.

Not that spec ops use these, but to show how quiet some can really be.
I run a mystic on a 357 single shot that is spooky quiet with 38 spl +p factory loads. Was metered at 118 decibels. "Bunny fart" 38 spls are even quieter (but just barely). The shooter hears the hammer fall as the loudest part. Spectators hear the smack of the projectile hitting the target.
A Ruger American bolt gun in 300 blk would be a logical possiblity for Spec ops to use. Subsonics are really nice and I run one with a AAC 762. Not Hollywood quiet, but you'd have to be pretty dang close to the shooter or listening specifically for the shot in order to know what went on. I've hunted deer with this set up.
If you move up to 45 cal. I have a 45/70 and hand loads that run well in a Marlin lever gun and a HybrId. I know others on this forum run a similar set up (they gave me the load data) that can be really quiet. You hit anything with a 600 gr 45 cal hard cast and its gonna not turn out well on their end.
I dont own a 9x39, but have seen quite a few that was run suppressed and I'd not be surprised to learn that spec ops uses it (Russian I believe is).

They had .300blk made for them, and 9mm can be silent aside from action noise. Technology has come a long way and Well placed shots on a human body aren’t too picky

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I found one ammo I think that was made by Hornady that ran hollywood quiet through my 300 blackout. I cant remember which one it was though, but all you could hear was the bolt cycling.

I know I am loving my henry X 45-70 suppressed. 405gn at 980 just rolls the steel targets over.
Henry X 45-70.jpg

Back
Top Bottom