• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

A Serious Question . . .

Yeah, I should know better, it is the ODT, but will attempt anyway.

I know the Hollywood version is BS. I am very curious as to exactly how the Special Forces manage to silence their weapons when in an operation where they have to maintain surprise, such as taking out sentries or entering a building quietly.

I have seen nothing that will suppress .556 or even 9mm adequately. I think these are the calibers they normally would use, other than snipers.
I know of people that have spooky quite weapons.

Yeah, I should know better, it is the ODT, but will attempt anyway.

I know the Hollywood version is BS. I am very curious as to exactly how the Special Forces manage to silence their weapons when in an operation where they have to maintain surprise, such as taking out sentries or entering a building quietly.

I have seen nothing that will suppress .556 or even 9mm adequately. I think these are the calibers they normally would use, other than snipers.
Sig P226 MK25 I thought... until they switched to Glock 19s.

Navy SEAL Sig P226-1.png Navy SEAL Sig P226-2.png Navy SEAL Sig P226-3.png Navy SEAL Sig P226-4.png

What does the weight of the bullet have to do with the noise? Usually the heavier bullet runs slower. And the heavier the bullet the less velocity that is needed.

I think he was referring to 147 gr as subsonic, thus quieter. I've never seen subsonic 124 gr or 115 gr, unless they're custom handloads.

Since I can't get out more, tell me of some of these.
I am not talking about .22 caliber. I have a .22 suppressor and hosts that are indeed hollywood quiet with the right ammo.

30 cal or larger caliber at 1,000 fps from a locked breach through a quality can is quiet.

I have shot a 30-30 pushing a 175 gr bullet at 1,000 fps using fast burning pistol powder. When you shoot it, you think it was a misfire and it did not go off. If a custom 1 in 7 30 cal barrel was cheap, shooting a 250 gr bullet would be no louder, but would hit much harder.

There are other combos that work better and you can bet the special forces had stuff supplied to then that was top notch.

What does the weight of the bullet have to do with the noise? Usually the heavier bullet runs slower. And the heavier the bullet the less velocity that is needed.

The 9mm "suppressor" ammo is 147 grain. Not supposed to go supersonic velocity and break the sound barrier. I am not smart enough to understand all the ballistic BS.

Back
Top Bottom