• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

A question for those buying gold for SHTF

also here is a grey area question. Say silver and gold do hold value in the SHTF situation. Do you think there will be a way to tell purity?

Would it be smarter to buy a **** load of low percentage gold as you can get it easier right now and there may not be able to tell the difference in the future.

You can get a **** load of fake chinese silver for next to nothing and without acid tests alot of them can be hard to spot.

If you plan to take gold or silver in barter it would be a smart move now to buy some testing kits - Currently they are cheap and readily available

Someone years ago tried to sell me some 99.9 bars that were 10kt at best so that trick has been around for a while

If you plan to take gold or silver in barter it would be a smart move now to buy some testing kits - Currently they are cheap and readily available

Someone years ago tried to sell me some 99.9 bars that were 10kt at best so that trick has been around for a while
Been looking at kits on eBay.

I think most of you promoting gold are expecting that life pretty much goes on as today with just financial disruption. In that case gold is supreme. But that’s not what being discussed.
If things get even near as bad as I fear your gold coin worth $2055 at today’s price won’t be worth a lite meal for your 4 member family a month into a real crisis.
First few weeks gold will be excepted as barter, but when the opportunists realize they can’t eat it the value will plummet.
As society depending on what form it re establish’s itself then gold stockpiles will be invaluable for rebuilding wealth or whatever.
Gold is a long term strategy, but for short term crisis use its would be nearly valueless.
Ammo, liquor, and recent history has shown TP to be what you will need before gold.
I’m not saying it isn’t good to have, but if you use it for barter expect the value to plummet. And probably if you do use it though the crisis you probably will draw attention from the wrong people and you won’t have it later.
Need to keep that stash hidden well.

Just to be clear I'm not on the gold train. I don't buy it because unless I have stocked Rawles' list of lists with some extras I'm not done. I would prefer to have the goods and services people will give me gold for when we get to recovery. I was just wondering how you were valuing the gold when you said historically the value had dipped or gained. My point was, if you are judging the value of gold by how it relates to the dollar it's far more likely the value of the dollar was fluctuating not the value of the gold.

Just to be clear I'm not on the gold train. I don't buy it because unless I have stocked Rawles' list of lists with some extras I'm not done. I would prefer to have the goods and services people will give me gold for when we get to recovery. I was just wondering how you were valuing the gold when you said historically the value had dipped or gained. My point was, if you are judging the value of gold by how it relates to the dollar it's far more likely the value of the dollar was fluctuating not the value of the gold.
No I value it as to if it’s value as trading stock. During the depression it dipped for a couple of years then bounced back to the value it started out at in 1920.

Back
Top Bottom