• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

A question for those buying gold for SHTF

Why would you want to buy it as you have to pay a commission to purchase it and another commission to sell it? It pays no dividends, and all the government has to do it outlaw it and make people turn it in for more worthless currency. If our government went back to backing its currency with precious (like silver) or semi-precious metals like copper that would be worth more than the "full faith and trust of the American government."

All values will fall, especially gold. At least historically. Silver has showed stability better than gold.
But you are assuming there is still a working society at that point.
Like I said when it’s time to rebuild society precious items will be important, but not during the incident(s).

Out of curiosity, how are you quantifying gold's value? I don't think the value of gold has fluctuated at all. Only thing that has fluctuated is the value of the dollar. For ex, if back in the 70's an oz of gold was $400 and today its $2000, is the gold worth more or is the dollar just worth less? I'm thinking the latter is more accurate.

Out of curiosity, how are you quantifying gold's value? I don't think the value of gold has fluctuated at all. Only thing that has fluctuated is the value of the dollar. For ex, if back in the 70's an oz of gold was $400 and today its $2000, is the gold worth more or is the dollar just worth less? I'm thinking the latter is more accurate.
You are correct. Since 1913 (Fed), the dollah has lost 98% of its value.

Just kind of on this subject.

I read somewhere in the last few months something to this effect of......

That a one ounce silver coin never lost its value.
With the coin 100 years ago you could buy, this that and the other thing at the store.
That same coin today will still pay for this that and the other thing.

For example if you could buy eggs, cheese, bread and milk with the coin at one time.
The coin today would still be worth enough to buy the same things. (Except today that would cost $15 or $20, the value of the silver in the coin).

I just thought it was interesting and worth passing on.:D

How do you plan on spending it? I mean you won’t be using 1 oz coins or bars to pay for things. Are you planning on chopping them up?
Exactly right! I had this same conversation with a friend yesterday. Gold is a great investment, and perfect for holding large sums of value. But to me, silver seems like it would be more mobile in terms of how you can spend it on everyday needs. Glad I'm not the only one thinking like this!

My statement still stands.

what value is there in something that has no physical use?
Gold only has value because someone says “it’s worth something”.
Gold has no use. It’s just “pretty”
I personally wouldn’t take a ton of gold for ammo, arms, food and so on.
Would seem like I am shorting myself because I wouldn’t have the tools or rations for myself or others if I took gold.
Look where it got King Midas.
Gold has a history of being reliable money for over 6000 years. It is to be accumulated only after all other preparations are made....or if one can afford it, used as a life insurance policy on your fiat currency savings.

The characteristics of real money are durability, portability, divisibility, uniformity, limited supply, and acceptability.

Just kind of on this subject.

I read somewhere in the last few months something to this effect of......

That a one ounce silver coin never lost its value.
With the coin 100 years ago you could buy, this that and the other thing at the store.
That same coin today will still pay for this that and the other thing.

For example if you could buy eggs, cheese, bread and milk with the coin at one time.
The coin today would still be worth enough to buy the same things. (Except today that would cost $15 or $20, the value of the silver in the coin).

I just thought it was interesting and worth passing on.:D
There is truth to that, but there is another force we are all experiencing right now as we try to find ammo: Supply and demand.

You can actually take old computer boards and circuit boards and reclaim the gold and get quite a bit of moneu for it

saddly its not really worth it. I work for a technology company and we recycle literal TONS of pcb's. We used to send them to a place for the gold and then just stopped as it wasnt worth the hassle. I think we were getting something like 4oz for every ton we would send them.

Back
Top Bottom