• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

A question for those buying gold for SHTF

During the crisis what would it be used for?

Im talking tuck and cover and collecting, or protecting, your food Supplies and shelter, for real oh **** crisis?

Precious metals will only hold intrinsic values at the point of collapse of society. Buy food, and more food. And a generous amount of ammo. A decent shelter wouldn't hurt either.

During the crisis what would it be used for?

Im talking tuck and cover and collecting, or protecting, your food Supplies and shelter, for real oh **** crisis?

During a bear attack, or riot, sure.

But that bear gets tired after a while and leaves, same with rioters.

Then, how do you pay for the new roof, or septic tank? With beans and rice?

Your 401k, stocks and bonds will lose all value. Gold will still retain its value.

Well, there came a point in human history where we needed a medium of exchange that didn't involve carrying 10 big sacks of wheat to market.Money has to have several characteristics.

Fungibility: its individual units must be capable of mutual substitution (i.e., interchangeability)
Durability: able to withstand repeated use
Portability: easily carried and transported
Cognizability: its value must be easily identified
Stability of value: its value should not fluctuate.

Gold has those characteristics. And you can't make more of it. Government can't print it. It is not infallible though. Government can produce coins with less and less gold and more filler. This happened in Athens way back when.

As to whether I think it's good for shtf? I'd rather have the stuff and skills people will eventually give me gold for in the recovery. I could see investing in it once I had everything I needed but that's a never ending list so I don't. It's not a bad investment when compared to the dollar. The dollar has lost 95% of its value in the past 100 or so years. Not a great way to store wealth.

If you are groaning at this point of the post remember you asked :).
Thank you finally have logical answer.

I doubt there will be a constitution at that point.

There is only one now when it is convenient to the powers that be. It's good to note it is written there because it leads to the question, "why is it written there?". The reason is that fiat currency's are a form of slavery. Granted, our chains rest very lightly and we enjoy a better standard of living than any slaves in history but that doesn't change that we are slaves.

So it appears that the idea is to hold gold until the next stable government is in power then exchange it for whatever currency they plan to issue.
Not to use gold itself as currency.

So it appears that the idea is to hold gold until the next stable government is in power then exchange it for whatever currency they plan to issue.
Not to use gold itself as currency.

If you are forced to. Currency's have 100% fail rate throughout history. The next one will fail too. Dollar will be around for a while just wont be worth much when it loses world reserve status. World reserve currency's have historically lasted about 80-100 or so years. Our 80 year mark is in '24. Way things are going I'm assuming closer to 80 than 100. If we are lucky we will make it to '54.

Back
Top Bottom