• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

A question for those buying gold for SHTF

My statement still stands.

what value is there in something that has no physical use?
Gold only has value because someone says “it’s worth something”.
Gold has no use. It’s just “pretty”
I personally wouldn’t take a ton of gold for ammo, arms, food and so on.
Would seem like I am shorting myself because I wouldn’t have the tools or rations for myself or others if I took gold.
Look where it got King Midas.
Gold is one of the best conductors of electricity and used widely in electronics and electrical components. So it has many important uses

Gold is one of the best conductors of electricity and used widely in electronics and electrical components. So it has many important uses
I know it’s uses in electronics, heat deflection and so on. What does that have to do with an intrinsic value? If shtf
And society falls, what value is it then?:doh:

Haha. Seriously. WHY IS GOLD VALUABLE OTHER THAN ITS SHINNY?

Well, there came a point in human history where we needed a medium of exchange that didn't involve carrying 10 big sacks of wheat to market.Money has to have several characteristics.

Fungibility: its individual units must be capable of mutual substitution (i.e., interchangeability)
Durability: able to withstand repeated use
Portability: easily carried and transported
Cognizability: its value must be easily identified
Stability of value: its value should not fluctuate.

Gold has those characteristics. And you can't make more of it. Government can't print it. It is not infallible though. Government can produce coins with less and less gold and more filler. This happened in Athens way back when.

As to whether I think it's good for shtf? I'd rather have the stuff and skills people will eventually give me gold for in the recovery. I could see investing in it once I had everything I needed but that's a never ending list so I don't. It's not a bad investment when compared to the dollar. The dollar has lost 95% of its value in the past 100 or so years. Not a great way to store wealth.

If you are groaning at this point of the post remember you asked :).

Back
Top Bottom