• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

A note for you brass hounds out there....

I reload a bit. I do pickup range brass occasionally. I noticed something today I hadn't seen before. 9mm brass plate steel cases. I was shooting yesterday when another club member came up to the pistol bay and shot a couple of his handguns. I was out cleaning up today and burning trash, picking up brass and noticed his boxes in the waste bin. Freedom Munitions is packing 9mm steel cased ammo but it's brass plated. I have a rolling shop magnet that I used to pick up the steel cases but I thought I'd post in case you are like me and don't want to run steel through your dies.
View attachment 2564284 View attachment 2564285

Couple of years ago, my shooting buddy came over with a couple of boxes of that ammo in 9mm. For the fun of it, we decided to reload the spent cases. We did a batch of ten rounds. We managed nine or ten reloads per case before we stopped, mostly because the point was made: They can be reloaded. I recall we had one case out of the batch that was getting loose enough in the primer pocket that it wasn't a good reload candidate anymore. We could have kept going with the others.

We were using the Lee 9mm carbide 4 die set. I don't recall the specific load, but it was not max pressure; we were shooting plated 115gr bullets.

I wouldn't worry about those slipping into a batch of cases, but if I was shooting them out of the box, I would probably separate the cases and use them for special reloading batches.

7B167ED8-BBBE-4BE4-93F1-E5D96A2CB663.jpeg
Found one

Back
Top Bottom