• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

A note for you brass hounds out there....

Here is some more crazy stuff I was asking you about this the other day.

https://www.range365.com/end-brass-cartridge-cases/

DSI52WKSH25G6V5MBWIXGKXT7E.png
I found one in my car, as I told you. I'd picked one up on pistol bay #1.

The case is supposed to be nickel plated, the base aluminum. The one I picked up was severely corroded at the base (aluminum oxide) so of no use at all. They are garbage in my opinion. I read an article about them when they first came out with the idea, regular dies will "stretch" the gap there at the base join. Bad juju for a case that headspaces on the mouth.

I had a bucket of 6,000 pieces of cleaned 9mm brass I'm going to load when my bullet order arrives and had to go back and pour them out on a tarp so I could roll the shop magnet over them. Out of 6,000 pieces I found 2 steel cases, brass plated. Just one more thing to look at now. I stopped picking up any nickel plated cases since the damned Berdan crap showed up.

I have noticed also that the aluminum base of those SST two piece cases deteriorate very quickly. I have picked up CCI aluminum cases that looked "good" and were probably out there for a few years. These were extremely ate up on the ejector rim to the point of not being trustworthy.

Back
Top Bottom