• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

9x39 school me

Yeah, supposedly that's part of the design idea. It's supposed to be keyholing on impact to create more soft tissue damage. Eh...I don't know that I buy that. Plus it makes me wonder about baffle strikes. Out of the AR platform, I'd be less worried about it, but in an AK platform with barrel concentricity already being iffy...yeah. I prefer my rounds to impact tip first so they can do what they're designed to do. To each, according to his tastes, I suppose.

I don’t see it being a problem, the Russians have been implementing it in their suppressed variants since the 1980s and I’m sure if baffle strikes were a problem it wouldn’t still be so loved and in service today. VSS/VAL is a prime example of use for dedicated precision longish range fire

I don’t see it being a problem, the Russians have been implementing it in their suppressed variants since the 1980s and I’m sure if baffle strikes were a problem it wouldn’t still be so loved and in service today. VSS/VAL is a prime example of use for dedicated precision longish range fire
You're not wrong...but baffle strikes that can easily be repaired by an armorer, funded with governmental monies, is less of a problem than for a private citizen. i've seen some gear that guys get issued. "Rode hard and hung up wet" comes to mind. Now, keep in mind these guys weren't JSOC Secret Squirrels, so there's that. I guess I just have a different opinion than most when I hear "Well, that's what the military uses."

You're not wrong...but baffle strikes that can easily be repaired by an armorer, funded with governmental monies, is less of a problem than for a private citizen. i've seen some gear that guys get issued. "Rode hard and hung up wet" comes to mind. Now, keep in mind these guys weren't JSOC Secret Squirrels, so there's that. I guess I just have a different opinion than most when I hear "Well, that's what the military uses."

agreed, but at the same time it would also seem odd/counterintuitive to keep a weapons system/cartridge in use for 30+ years now as a DMR/precision roll with baffle strikes and continue to release updated versions of the same thing over and over if there were problems. But that being said I see your side

A couple of things I wanted to mention: It is more like 950-1000FPS. It only needs a 8.5" barrel and short cans do work well if they have volume. Our ISRs are 1.5" and the screw on cans we use on the AKs and AR pistols are 2" x 8.5" aluminum.

Yes - aluminum works with the 9x39 even on full auto.

They do require a short gas system to cycle without a suppressor.

Back
Top Bottom