• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

8mm Mauser Idea

Linachaw

Default rank <2500 posts Lifetime Supporter
Milsurp Collector
99   0
Reaction score
I saw on gunbroker someone selling primed yugoslavian 8mm mauser brass. I have a bunch of crappy ethiopian 8mm mauser ammo that is only crappy because the primers are toast. The bullets and gunpowder is fine. I have an inertia bullet puller. Is there a way I could buy the primed brass and then pull the bullets and power and put it into the good yugoslavian primed case? Obviously dumping the powder in is easy, but I have no reloading dies for 8mm, and would have to figure out a way to seat the bullet and get it to stay via a crimp or something of the sort. Lee used to make the classic lee loader in 8mm mauser but not anymore. I wish I had one of those

You would definitely want to check the case capacities first. If the Yugo brass has a lot less volume then you could be on the fast track to a high-pressure disaster. If they are somewhat similar, load 5, test, check for pressure signs. A set of lee dies shouldn't be all that expensive.

I've recently delved into the idea of getting a surplus gun in 8mm Mauser. I've seen lots of variations, from Chilean to Turkish with a vast majority being Yugoslavian. I'd want it for a shooter, so stock condition and matching numbers aren't really a priority for me. My question is, would it be worth buying one
They are fun to shoot if you get one that has a decent bore and chamber. The ammo is hard to find right now though. If you just wanted something as a shooter, you can't go wrong with a good condition Turkish mauser.

I saw on gunbroker someone selling primed yugoslavian 8mm mauser brass. I have a bunch of crappy ethiopian 8mm mauser ammo that is only crappy because the primers are toast. The bullets and gunpowder is fine. I have an inertia bullet puller. Is there a way I could buy the primed brass and then pull the bullets and power and put it into the good yugoslavian primed case? Obviously dumping the powder in is easy, but I have no reloading dies for 8mm, and would have to figure out a way to seat the bullet and get it to stay via a crimp or something of the sort. Lee used to make the classic lee loader in 8mm mauser but not anymore. I wish I had one of those
You can probably find primers and just reuse your brass. Im sure it wouldn't be to bad finding the equipment you'd need.

You can probably find primers and just reuse your brass. Im sure it wouldn't be to bad finding the equipment you'd need.
They're berdan primers. I already bought and have the primed brass. I'm going to get a lee loader in 8mm off ebay so I can just swap the components

Need a Lee Collet die to just neck size the brass and a Seating die, to seat the bullet.

Used to do what you are doing all the time, called it Mexican Match Ammo. Weigh powder from the pulled ammo, that will be your max charge. Then reduce by 10% this will be your min charge. Then start building incremental loads till you find which load your rifle likes best.

Your inertia bullet puller may not do the trick if there is a waterproof sealer between the case and bullet.

I finally got a lee loader in 8x57, transferred the components from the junk primer Ethiopian ammo to the Yugo brass with good primers and it worked well.

Back
Top Bottom