• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

7.62x54R chamber reamer

DTM Builder

Default rank <300 posts
Tracker
25   0
Reaction score
About 6 months ago I bought a 91/30 from Classic firearms. the rifle was in excellent condition and the barrel looked to be unfired. One small glitch, in about half the the shells I fired it would leave a scratch or gouge in the shoulder area, and the other half would crack right there. I didn't save a fired shell casing to photograph so I put a mark on an unfired shell with a sharpie marker where the scratch or split would occur. Only on what I would call the shoulder area and never down the neck.
i52.photobucket.com_albums_g2_michaelsopa_Mobile_20Uploads_5D06d2fed9cc336b3ddce7bde5d4c00cdf3.jpg

I tried several times to get a photograph of the small bur in the chamber that would cause this. I could see it in just the right light but it was impossible to photograph.

I knew It needed just a kiss with a chamber finish reamer. I called a couple of local gunsmiths and neither one had one on hand. One told me he could rent one, and after looking on line a chamber reamers dot com and saw where it would be about $60 just to rent. If he charged me anything on top of that I was probably pushing the $100 mark, maybe more counting gas for two trips. One to drop off and one to pick up. So I just bought one for ~$120 and did it myself.
i52.photobucket.com_albums_g2_michaelsopa_Mobile_20Uploads_D51efcf4cffe0cf369659241997a19459b8.jpg

Now my question, what do I do now with this $120 drill bit. Try to sell it or let folks "rent" it for like $10-$15 to do their rifles. I would hand it to them, and let them do their own gun. I would never touch someone else's gun I am not a gunsmith.

What do you think?

Oh and here is a pic of the 91/30
i52.photobucket.com_albums_g2_michaelsopa_Mobile_20Uploads_B9F64cd199c49be496d75c8250b030bb2d7.jpg

Haven't shot it yet. I could see the bur, and now its gone. The bur would leave a scratch or, like cutting glass, the scratch would be where the split would happen. I hope that took care of it. The M44 would not split the cases. I did check the head space on both guns.
Looks like the rifle was re barreled and put in the grease, probably never test fired. The rifling looked brand new when I got it.

May be an overreaction on my part but I am just a bit anal. Was not liking the split cases and was about to turn it into a wall hanger. I figured it would be worth a try anyway.

Last edited:
073.JPG
073.JPG

Haven't shot it yet. I could see the bur, and now its gone. The bur would leave a scratch or, like cutting glass, the scratch would be where the split would happen. I hope that took care of it. The M44 would not split the cases. I did check the head space on both guns.
Looks like the rifle was re barreled and put in the grease, probably never test fired. The rifling looked brand new when I got it.

May be an overreaction on my part but I am just a bit anal. Was not liking the split cases and was about to turn it into a wall hanger. I figured it would be worth a try anyway.

I don't know why I downloaded 2 pictures
I don't know why I downloaded 2 pictures but this is a long range shooter I built from a Mag pul op 4 kit, 2 Mosins that didn't match numbers, and a Finnish m-39 barrel. I still have to deepen the chamber ( M-39s fire a 7.62 by 53r cartridge}. I wish I could use your reamer, but there are 2 problems. First being the depth of cut.I have to go down 1mm =.049" and the Finns hardened their chambers. Both problems are solved with a carbide reamer. Unfortunatly, yours looks to be high speed tool steel and won't cut hardened steel

I've had split necks in all of my mosins. It wasn't because of the chamber, it was because I was shooting 1950's Bulgarian light ball.

Back
Top Bottom