• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

6.5 grendel build/barrel questions

I know its all preference, but if you had to choose between LaRue or Grendel Hunter upper, which would you go with? I'm still debating 16" or 18" barrel since most my shots are between 1-200 yards but i have the ability to shoot almost 400 yards if wanted to.
I would opt for the 18. It is not much longer. Just get a short muzzle break. Try to squeeze every bit of energy you can out of it. Just a thought.

I just looked up barrel length and velocity. Between the 16 and 20 inch barrel length the difference was only 75 fps. on the chart I looked at. So between and 18 I don't think the loss is worth worrying about.

I’ve never used a 6.5G from either of those companies, and I’ve never seen a Satern barrel in action.

I’m a tad confused on the one from Grendelhunter. Satern states that all their 6.5G barrels ship with a headspaced bolt, but that isn’t included when you buy an upper with that barrel from Grendelhunter. It’s extra, and they have a selection, but most are out of stock. Your only options are an NiB bolt or a cosmetic blem NiB BCG. I’m not a fan of NiB, but that’s your current options. You can always buy a bolt/BCG somewhere else and check headspace.

The LaRue is probably good stuff. I’ve seen some bad barrels come out of there in .308, and Texas DPS famously had an issue with their rifles from LaRue, but overall they put out a solid product. My only issue is that it looks like they are making you buy one of their muzzle devices and other doodads, which may not fit what you’re wanting to do with the rifle. If they do, then no worries.

All in all, I’d say put it together yourself.

I’ve never used a 6.5G from either of those companies, and I’ve never seen a Satern barrel in action.

I’m a tad confused on the one from Grendelhunter. Satern states that all their 6.5G barrels ship with a headspaced bolt, but that isn’t included when you buy an upper with that barrel from Grendelhunter. It’s extra, and they have a selection, but most are out of stock. Your only options are an NiB bolt or a cosmetic blem NiB BCG. I’m not a fan of NiB, but that’s your current options. You can always buy a bolt/BCG somewhere else and check headspace.

The LaRue is probably good stuff. I’ve seen some bad barrels come out of there in .308, and Texas DPS famously had an issue with their rifles from LaRue, but overall they put out a solid product. My only issue is that it looks like they are making you buy one of their muzzle devices and other doodads, which may not fit what you’re wanting to do with the rifle. If they do, then no worries.

" Put it together yourself ' . AGREED

Thanks for all your help. I will go that route then. Now to learn and look into what all i need. TY sir!

Back
Top Bottom