• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

58 years ago today......

Raydog

Default rank <1250 posts
Long live the Republic!
24   0
Reaction score
Oct. 27,1962. Soviet Premier Nikita Khrushchev secretly offers to remove Soviet missile bases in Cuba if the U.S. removes its missile bases in Turkey, thus averting the very real possibility of a nuclear confrontation with the United States.

Those of you who are old enough to remember the Cuban Missile Crisis will never forget how close humanity came to the abyss of an unparalleled disaster.
My momma kept me home from school during the worst of it. If bad came to worst we would face it together. Robins AFB was considered to be a prime target. :shocked:

Cuban_Missle.jpg

There was a documentary about McNamara some years ago, worth watching if you get the chance. For those that don't understand the gravity of the crisis here is a bit of the content.

It wasn't until January, 1992, in a meeting chaired by Castro in Havana, Cuba, that I learned 162 nuclear warheads, including 90 tactical warheads, were on the island at the time of this critical moment of the crisis. I couldn't believe what I was hearing, and Castro got very angry with me because I said, "Mr. President, let's stop this meeting. This is totally new to me, I'm not sure I got the translation right."

"Mr. President, I have three questions to you. Number one: did you know the nuclear warheads were there? Number two: if you did, would you have recommended to Khrushchev in the face of an U.S. attack that he use them? Number three: if he had used them, what would have happened to Cuba?"

He said, "Number one, I knew they were there. Number two, I would not have recommended to Khrushchev, I did recommend to Khrushchev that they be used. Number three, 'What would have happened to Cuba?' It would have been totally destroyed." That's how close we were.

EM: And he was willing to accept that?

Yes, and he went on to say: "Mr. McNamara, if you and President Kennedy had been in a similar situation, that's what you would have done." I said, "Mr. President, I hope to God we would not have done it. Pull the temple down on our heads? My God!"

Back
Top Bottom