• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

4th rut is on.

Data confirms that most of the breeding is done first half of November. The intensity of the rut activity depends a lot on the sex ratio. If you are seeing a lot of activity in December and January, that is a ratio out of whack (as most places are). Those that come into estrous early are bred in October. Most are bred in November. When the remaining unbred does go into estrous in December, there are a lot less of them so in high doe to buck ratio area, there would be a lot more intensity as a whole bunch of bucks are chasing a material amount of (but still fewer than November) does and having to cover greater distances to do it. Hence more 'activity'. In an ideal 1:1 ratio, most all does would be bred in November and the December rut would be minimal. But perhaps to your point, thread should be entitled FIFTH rut is on. :)

I wont argue "data", all I'm saying is this has been my experience over the last 40 some odd years being in the woods year round. Maybe the does arent capable of pregnancy after an early year breeding, but they are showing all the behavior of being receptive...from what I have seen. Others may not see the same I dont know.

I wont argue "data", all I'm saying is this has been my experience over the last 40 some odd years being in the woods year round. Maybe the does arent capable of pregnancy after an early year breeding, but they are showing all the behavior of being receptive...from what I have seen. Others may not see the same I dont know.
I'm not questioning what you observe. I was just trying to explain why you might be seeing it.

Photoperiodism is what triggers the rut. Bucks can breed all year, does come into estrous and if not bred come in again. They may come in til they are bred, I dont know. However losing antlers seems to turn the boys off and they arent so frisky. Sheet we may have queer deer now and they dont know what the heck they are

Cruising, chasing, fighting, mugging :lol: again last night.... Glad a few with potential made it.

ab920985-f203-4165-a01b-4a15cbff1e70[1].jpg
547d7e80-dc08-4824-99af-82826f3bd6b1[1].jpg

Back
Top Bottom