• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

4th annual trout stream meet and greet

What weekend

• 5/18/-5/20

Votes: 17 94.4%
  • 5/25-5/27

Votes: 1 5.6%

• Total voters
What a great weekend! Met a couple odt folks on the creek. Couple really nice folks. Had a blast. Never saw where any odt folks were camping. Ate a ton of venison backstrap and bacon wrapped whole trout first night. Made lots of blackened trout tacos 2nd night. Made fresh doughnuts in cast iron on the fire both nights. First time I've done that and they turned out awesome. Those stocked trout are too green to bite on flies. Used my emmrod with bubblegum and powerbait all weekend. Had a great time. Maybe next year I'll get a chance to hang out with more of ya!
I’d love to learn how to make doughnuts cooked in cast iron. That sounds like some awesome camping food to me. Bacon wrapped trout too! Wow!!!

I’d love to learn how to make doughnuts cooked in cast iron. That sounds like some awesome camping food to me. Bacon wrapped trout too! Wow!!!

Ridiculously easy. Cast iron pan. Canola oil 2-3 finger deep. Put over coals. Get grands biscuits (or whichever ready to throw in oven biscuit dough you want). Open can of biscuits. Pinch off small piece of dough. Throw it in oil and if it floats the oil is ready. Make doughnut shape out of each biscuit (without the hole it didn't cook through). Gently place in oil so you dont splash oil into fire and start something you dont want started. Flip doughnut when golden on one side. Take out when done and cover in sugar, powdered sugar or whatever you like. Just plain sugar is awesome. Fresh made doughnuts at the camp will change your life.

Just an added thought......if doing this after too many bourbons it might be wise to have a fire extinguisher in the vehicle as you can't douse a grease fire with water.

Ridiculously easy. Cast iron pan. Canola oil 3 finger deep. Put over coals. Get grands biscuits (or whichever ready to throw in oven biscuit dough you want). Open can of biscuits. Pinch off small piece of dough. Throw it in oil and if it floats the oil is ready. Make doughnut shape out of each biscuit (without the hole it didn't cook through). Gently place in oil so you dont splash oil into fire and start something you dont want started. Flip doughnut when golden on one side. Take out when done and cover in sugar, powdered sugar or whatever you like. Just plain sugar is awesome. Fresh made doughnuts at the camp will change your life.
Thanks, That sounds awesome. I heard of doing pretty much the same thing but frying the biscuits in bacon grease and eating them as is. Been told they are awesome also.

sorry i missed yall! was packing friday morning and twisted my ankle something fierce. been stuck in my recliner with an ice pack all weekend, didn't want to risk the stairs to get to my computer lol. me and my girl are gonna go soon though, i got the trout bug bad lol.

What a great weekend! Met a couple odt folks on the creek. Couple really nice folks. Had a blast. Never saw where any odt folks were camping. Ate a ton of venison backstrap and bacon wrapped whole trout first night. Made lots of blackened trout tacos 2nd night. Made fresh doughnuts in cast iron on the fire both nights. First time I've done that and they turned out awesome. Those stocked trout are too green to bite on flies. Used my emmrod with bubblegum and powerbait all weekend. Had a great time. Maybe next year I'll get a chance to hang out with more of ya!
I beleave I saw your red jeep on the left, backed up under a blue cover. I looked and did not see anybody there...Next time hamburglar3 hamburglar3 is going to try and have a sign made..Until next time, Tight lines!

Back
Top Bottom