• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

410 shotshell hulls

LT

Default rank <100 posts
Hunter
3   0
Reaction score
Looking to get into reloading 410 shotshell. Does anyone know where to pick up some hulls in the north west Ga. area. Not to many people shoot 410 around here so getting them at the range is a no go. Thanks for any help!

LT, your best bet would be to go ahead and buy some Winchester AAs. They usually run 9 or $10 per box although once per year Winchester runs a special where they offer two dollars off per box rebate. The AA hulls are about as good as It gets for multiple reloads. The going rate for buying AA hulls is about $.15/hull, ($3.75 per box, empties). The best place I have found to buy these is Trapshooters.com or shotgunworld classifieds forums. but again, if you’re planning on doing any amount of volume shooting/reloading, it’s probably best to just grab the summer rebate and by one or two flats of shells and go from there. Academy and Walmart tend to have the best prices on ammo.
JT

Have you reloaded 410 before?? Its a royal pain. I shot skeet 40 years ago and reloaded all gauges but 28. 12 and 20 were no problem, but 410 sucked. The problem was the "mouth" of the shell would wear out quickly after just a few re-crimps. Plastic would tear, get shot off. I used MEC reloaders which are pretty much the standard, so that wasn't the problem. Reconsider, and save yourself some grief.

Have you reloaded 410 before?? Its a royal pain. I shot skeet 40 years ago and reloaded all gauges but 28. 12 and 20 were no problem, but 410 sucked. The problem was the "mouth" of the shell would wear out quickly after just a few re-crimps. Plastic would tear, get shot off. I used MEC reloaders which are pretty much the standard, so that wasn't the problem. Reconsider, and save yourself some grief.
Thanks for the info u made up my mind not to get into reloading 410.

LT, your best bet would be to go ahead and buy some Winchester AAs. They usually run 9 or $10 per box although once per year Winchester runs a special where they offer two dollars off per box rebate. The AA hulls are about as good as It gets for multiple reloads. The going rate for buying AA hulls is about $.15/hull, ($3.75 per box, empties). The best place I have found to buy these is Trapshooters.com or shotgunworld classifieds forums. but again, if you’re planning on doing any amount of volume shooting/reloading, it’s probably best to just grab the summer rebate and by one or two flats of shells and go from there. Academy and Walmart tend to have the best prices on ammo.
JT

This is the best advice.

The guys who shoot .410 are mostly skeet shooters, and they hold on to the hulls until Scotch tape won't stick to them any more. You might score some once fired hulls, but in the long run you will be better off buying a couple of flats and making you own hulls.

You can buy used hulls from ballisticproducts at a good price and can buy new hulls there also some already primed. And the primed ones are cheaper than if you buy separately. Hazmat isn't required for pre-primed hulls either. They have all of the other components you need there also. I just ordered myself a Mec600 JR Mark V so I can do .410. Been doing 12 gauge and 20 gauge for awhile now. Was going to buy a conversion kit, but for just $100 more I could get a whole new press already setup and I can sell one of my 12 gauge presses and recover the difference I think.

I know I am not saving money doing it, I just want to do it. Want to do some tinkering with the judge as well as a single shot .410.

Rosewood

You can buy used hulls from ballisticproducts at a good price and can buy new hulls there also some already primed. And the primed ones are cheaper than if you buy separately. Hazmat isn't required for pre-primed hulls either. They have all of the other components you need there also. I just ordered myself a Mec600 JR Mark V so I can do .410. Been doing 12 gauge and 20 gauge for awhile now. Was going to buy a conversion kit, but for just $100 more I could get a whole new press already setup and I can sell one of my 12 gauge presses and recover the difference I think.

I know I am not saving money doing it, I just want to do it. Want to do some tinkering with the judge as well as a single shot .410.

Rosewood
Thanks I'll have to give them a look

Back
Top Bottom