• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

401k-Roth IRA- company doesn't have matching.....????

Great article, thanks for sharing.
I have followed these exact steps for 23yrs and have been on step 8 for the last 3yrs including doing the Back-Door ROTH. The lesson to be learned is to educate yourself on all the tax shelters and retirement plans available to you by law and start saving as soon as you can. I started at 28 and thought I was behind so I bumped my 401k contribution up a little the first 5 years until it was at 18% and it's been there ever since.

Yep being informed, having a plan, and then executing that plan with intentional behavior is how you get ahead. I didn't really start saving until around 28 as well. It's amazing how quickly the money piles up once you start getting spending under control and executing that plan without fault.

Bump.

I've got a question for the experts. For this year my company has decided not to match until after the end of the year. So as long as I'm still employed the last day of the year they'll deposit the match next January.

Right now they match up to 6% but only $.50 per dollar. I've been doing 10%. However this year we have the option to also contribute to a Roth IRA in the same account. So I can adjust contributions to and from both.

What should I do? Change my 401k back to 6% for the match at the end of the year and put the remaining 4% into the Roth? I suppose I can go up to 12% total comfortably so was thinking 6% each for now.

thanks.

Bump.

I've got a question for the experts. For this year my company has decided not to match until after the end of the year. So as long as I'm still employed the last day of the year they'll deposit the match next January.

Right now they match up to 6% but only $.50 per dollar. I've been doing 10%. However this year we have the option to also contribute to a Roth IRA in the same account. So I can adjust contributions to and from both.

What should I do? Change my 401k back to 6% for the match at the end of the year and put the remaining 4% into the Roth? I suppose I can go up to 12% total comfortably so was thinking 6% each for now.

thanks.
Sounds like a safe harbor match? It can be typical not to match until after the year is over. It just has to be matched by the time they file their taxes, so it could be as late as September or August (I forget the corporate extension deadline).

Is this a traditional 401k plan? Do they offer a Roth option? Either way your match will be the same. If you deferred 10% of your income, they will match 50% up to 6% of your income for an effective 3%(of your income) match if you deferred at least 6% of your check towards the traditional 401k or Roth 401k, if you are enrolled on the Roth option you already paid your taxes on your portion you deferred. Do you know what your company's vesting period is?

Sounds like a safe harbor match? It can be typical not to match until after the year is over. It just has to be matched by the time they file their taxes, so it could be as late as September or August (I forget the corporate extension deadline).

Is this a traditional 401k plan? Do they offer a Roth option? Either way your match will be the same. If you deferred 10% of your income, they will match 50% up to 6% of your income for an effective 3%(of your income) match if you deferred at least 6% of your check towards the traditional 401k or Roth 401k, if you are enrolled on the Roth option you already paid your taxes on your portion you deferred. Do you know what your company's vesting period is?
Yeah it does sound like a safe harbor match. It's a traditional 401k, not Roth 401k. We now have the option to contribute to a Roth IRA from the same company, Prudential. So I was wondering if it would make sense to take the extra I was putting in the 401k that they aren't matching and just that in to the Roth IRA? I'm vested, long term employee.

Yeah it does sound like a safe harbor match. It's a traditional 401k, not Roth 401k. We now have the option to contribute to a Roth IRA from the same company, Prudential. So I was wondering if it would make sense to take the extra I was putting in the 401k that they aren't matching and just that in to the Roth IRA? I'm vested, long term employee.
I know more about the technicalities of how the plans operate than good financial planning, but I would think since your maximizing the match and getting the free money, it might be a good idea to go ahead and reduce your future tax liability by contributing to the Roth IRA since the 401k is a traditional plan and not a Roth 401k?

Just a thought,
I would put as much as you can (to match your company match) into your 401k. Vested does not matter your 401 is yours, they cannot take that away from you. As far as a Roth, I think the limit is 5500 (somewhere around there). I would look at vanguard for this.
A Roth if used correctly can be used for a emergency fund, look at the 5 year rule for this. You could also reclassify some of your 401 into a Roth but pay taxes on it.
A Roth is great, no taxes on interest. Compounding is great over thirty years.

So I currently have a 401K through my company. They don't offer any matching.
I also have a roth-IRA. both are set to 2050 index funds.

Is it worth me still contributing to the 401k or focus everything on the IRA? OR is it good to have both??
I like index funds, they change allocations between stocks and bonds as you age, you don't have to figure out when to move funds, you might want to use more than one index fund. Vanguard funds have low expense ratios. 401k's and IRA's defer taxes until you take the money out that can be a 30% savings on the front end depending on your tax rate. When you retire and draw the monies out maybe your tax rate will be less since you may not have earned income.

I know more about the technicalities of how the plans operate than good financial planning, but I would think since your maximizing the match and getting the free money, it might be a good idea to go ahead and reduce your future tax liability by contributing to the Roth IRA since the 401k is a traditional plan and not a Roth 401k?
Yes that's what I was thinking about doing. Drop my traditional 401k contribution down to 6% to get the free money/company match. Put the extra I was putting in to 401k in to the Roth IRA. Should work out well I'd hope?

Back
Top Bottom