• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

.357sig hand loading

medium187mph

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
217   0
Reaction score
Added another caliber to the bench just now.

.357sig 147gr XTP @ 1140fps

I’m using this same bullet in 9mm which is running around 895fps tops.

Let me get ahold of some 90gr XTP and push them to around 1650fps!

5A811417-CD84-45CE-82A1-762F3AE97BAB.jpeg

My overall favorite round. It was without a doubt the hardest round for me to learn to reload. When it came out many years ago I got one and some rounds and loved it. Saved my brass and begged others for brass. It just was not available. I had loose bullets, bullet set back, wasted powder and all kinds of issues with reloading. There wasn't much data either in the beginning. I learned it with time and effort & learned to love reloading it too. Making the brass match exactly how factory ammo fit the barrel was the key. When you shoot it at a range, others want to come see what you are shooting. Fortunately brass is readily available and much cheaper than years ago, or it was anyway before this craziness started. Enjoy!! PS: I still don't see any case gauges for it... just use your barrel.

My overall favorite round. It was without a doubt the hardest round for me to learn to reload. When it came out many years ago I got one and some rounds and loved it. Saved my brass and begged others for brass. It just was not available. I had loose bullets, bullet set back, wasted powder and all kinds of issues with reloading. There wasn't much data either in the beginning. I learned it with time and effort & learned to love reloading it too. Making the brass match exactly how factory ammo fit the barrel was the key. When you shoot it at a range, others want to come see what you are shooting. Fortunately brass is readily available and much cheaper than years ago, or it was anyway before this craziness started. Enjoy!! PS: I still don't see any case gauges for it... just use your barrel.

I found that I barely flair the case and the bullet seats firm, then I’ve got the seating die that seats and crimps at the same time. It took a little while to get the final die set up but it’s good to go now. Bullets sit firm and don’t push back at all.

Here’s the best case gauge company I’ve found, the open window ones are absolutely phenomenal too!

https://sheridanengineering.com/product/357-sig-ammunition-gauge/

I added a .357sig Lee FCD to the press and ran 5 flawless rounds this evening.

Oh boy it’s satisfying when they all run in the first go! You can feel the concussion in your chest when they go off!

Recipe is dialed in for future batches of the 147gr XTP, looking forward to trying some other projectiles here soon!

Like this round, it's not a favorite of gen pop though
Hard hard hard round to reload successfully, takes more effort and attention than any round I've done.
Easy to mess up the case but I think it's worth the effort.

Back
Top Bottom