• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

.308 Sizing Die Issue

I run an xl750 but resize on a turret press. For lube, home mixed 10:1, 99% alcohol to lanolin in a big spray bottle. I fill a paint roller tray with brass, few squirts of lanolin mix, usually I wait for the alcohol to evaporate off but not always. Paint tray full of 308 will hold about 400 cases. Since I switched to this method a few years back I've never had a case stick. That includes many thousands of 308 and several thousand mixed large rifle brass....,,30-30, 7.62x39, 30-06, 303, 7mm mag, 300win mag, 338, tens of thousands of 223, 6.5cm. I wet tumble after sizing.....you pretty much have to if you use the lanolin.

Compared to commercial lubes it is also extremely cheap.

I may be insulting your intelligence here, but are you sure that isn't a 30-06 case? The military headstamp brass doesn't always tell you what it is.

As for one shot lube, it has worked great on small cases like .223, but when I tried it on larger case like .270, it doesn't seem to work so well. I use the Hornady Unique sizing lube applied with a lyman lube pad.

Rosewood

Have you tried commercial brass in the same sizing die? Does it stick also? Send us some pics of the brass in question, namely the headstamp. I have found military brass is typically more difficult to resize than commercial, seems the walls are either thicker or harder than commercial.

Oh and when using the one shot, did you spray it on and let it dry before sizing? It works better that way.

Rosewood

The One Shot Hornady Lube has worked great for me, except when used on 300BLK in a Hornady sizing die—who’d of thunk it. I tore several rims off, before switching back to my old lube-STP Oil Treatment. But, then I get frustrated enough to order a new sizing die from Lee. Now, the One Shot works great….again. I have had very good luck with Lee Dies, and very bad luck with Hornady sizing dies in several calibers.

Try sizing without the decaying rod in, maybe it’s hanging it up?
Long weekend and busy at work.

I am 99.9% sure this is the problem. But I believe it’s the timing of the turret. I noticed that when it advanced it wasn’t lining up correctly, and I believe the decapping rod was hitting the primer pocket off-center. I pulled the rod and it ran smoothly. I did use the case wax instead of the one shot but I doubt it would’ve been that drastically different. Every cycle of the handle the shellplate is off center and I have to nudge it to advance far enough.

I’ll just have to figure out the turret adjustments and should be good to go. I appreciate all the suggestions.

Back
Top Bottom