• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

.308 Sizing Die Issue

Are you using 308 brass or 7.62x51 ?
The ammo was factory M118LR, which I believe is 7.62x51. I measured the brass and it’s within spec for the .308 based on the reloading book.

Spray the inside of the die with one shot.
I did this and managed to get one through. Albeit pretty tough. Next one stuck again. I’m just going to hold out until I can pick up a different lube and see how it goes.
Appreciate the help.

Looks like you solved it. Here is what i use. RCBS lube with a Lube Die in the hornady lock and load. The lube die in station 1 with decapping. That way, the action of the decapping doesnt interfere with resizing. Then the resizing is in station 2/3/or 4 (where you can balance it out on the press) where you can see it better.

Im also a huge fan of Redding dies for everything. They are more expensive but they are better!

On tough to resize brass, you will want to use this pad, typically on a single stage. But once I went with the lube die, nothing else really needed it. Rolling it gives it an even spread.

If it really gets nasty, you will want wax, not lube. Something really nice to go with when reforming brass into different calibers.

I load a lot of .308 on a Hornady LnLAP. I've never experienced the problem you're having. That said, I've never had good luck with One Shot lube. I use Royal Case & Die spray lube from Sharp Shooter:

Depending on the purpose of the ammo, I use an RCBS small base die or a Forster Benchrest Full Length die.

Not that this may even matter but, have you considered a Lee Universal decapping die?

I have the same press and I’ve noticed it seems to just run smoother overall when I’ve decapped my brass prior.
I will keep that in mind.

I’ll be trying some new lube and the backup die set came in, so I’ll know more this weekend.
OP, I don’t mind helping you out if you want to try another set of Redding Dies and some of my .308 brass on your set up. I’m in the county lol
I’ll keep that in mind if I can’t figure it out this weekend. I appreciate the offer.

Back
Top Bottom