• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

300 BLK reloading adventure

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did find out that a load of 14.5grains Alliant 2400, a small rifle primer, and the 150 grain bullet WILL CYCLE and lock back the bolt on A 300BLK AR15 upper with a TRYBE Defense 16 inch barrel and carbine gas system. A mils-spec M-4 lower with a standard buffer(no “H”), and standard spring was used. I did not think it would work, but was pleasantly surprised.

I was desperate for ammo and ran my bolt action loads in it.

Go to Hodgdon Reloading charts online. 300 Blkout. 125 gr hornady, 21.0 gr lilgun. 2409fps. Shoots wonderful in my Ruger Ranch. Wallacem in Ga

This shoots pretty good with in my CVA Scout II with 16.5" barrel. It shot good in my 7.5" ar pistol but muzzle blast was atrocious. I swapped out to 10" barrel, but haven't tried the Lil'Gun in it yet. The IMR4227 I loaded for the 7.5" barrel shot really well in the 10" barrel.

Rosewood

I load on a Dillon 550b so I used the shell plate for the .223. I already had a conversion kit for the 30 carbine in the 550b. The 30 carbine powder funnel works great for flaring the mouth of the 300 BLK. Kept me from having to by anything special for it. I have a set of Lee 300 BLK dies which did not come with a powder funnel, I guess they assume you will use a universal rifle funnel.

Rosewood

I recently turned my attention to an AR15 chambered in 300BLK.

16 inch, 1 in 8 twist, carbine gas system, H2 buffer.

Current load is 17.0 LilGun/150 FMJ-BT/Federal Small Rifle primer = 2005fps on a 90 degree day.
Accuracy looks good.

I tried using 18.5 Reloader #7( this is all that fits in the case). It only gave 1631fps, but was accurate.

Both Powders produce MOA accuracy at 100yards.

VV N120 will push a 180gr at subsonic speeds and cycle the action, N105 will as well only if you are suppressed, really clean and quiet. They both work well with the 190gr Hornady sub-x. Which iirc is loaded with 1680 and not a quiet load.

After a couple years and just under an estimated 500 rounds fired between two different Ruger American Ranch Rifles, consisting of 60 American Eagle, 20 Remington Sub-Sonic, and the rest in hand loaded ammo based on range pickup or my reused cases, I have discovered that the firing pin simply does not hit hard enough for consistent firing of Military grade hard primers. My gun will not reliably ignite Fiocchi Small Rifle primers. Most of the time the gun will fire the round after a second try accomplished by simply lifting the bolt handle to recock the gun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom