30/30 powder

RELOADER

Default rank <1000 posts
Frontiersman
17   0
Reaction score
I have been loading awhile know and have decided to do some 30/30. What are your opinions on the best bullet and best bullet weight? What are some of the powders on the market today that you would recommend as the best all around powder for this caliber. I plan on loading for deer hunting and I'm partial to round nose bullets if this helps at all. Thanks in advance for any info.:cool:

There's so many new powders since I've loaded thutty thutty's that I'd have to start over myself. I used Winchester 748 and 760 in many calibers at the time because the two performed well in most calibers and meter like water.

The W748 was what I used then. That was long before Varget and even lever caliber specialty powders of today. An old friend loaded with IMR 3031.

I recently bought a pound of CFE 223 to try in .223 & .308. I see Hodgdon publishes some fantastic velocities using it in the ole Winchester cartridge.

As for bullets, my only reminder would be to use bullets that are designed to expand well at 30-30 velocities.

http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp

Last edited:
With the 30/30 my philosophy is the heavier the better. As Chuck stated there are bullets that are designed to expand at lower velocities. There are some new powders and bullets made just for the ole lever actions, Hornady FTX bullets and Leverevolution Powder. This combination is claimed to have very much increased velocities over the ole round nose bullets with low ballistics coeficients. Good Luck!

To be fair, I've been loading light-recoil rounds, so my experience may not play well at your speed, but I load IMR-4895 in all my rifle calibers for jacketed bullets. Using a Sierra 125-gr flat-nose HP, I'm putting just over 33 grains into a load that's plenty accurate in both our Marlin and Winchesters.

That said, if you're looking for a standard hunting round, the Sierra 150-gr and 170-gr. RNs are a better choice, but I don't have figures on the charge.

100_6678.jpg

Here they are guys. 160gr. FTX Hornady leverlutions loaded with 32grs. of IMR4350. They look sharp, will post the range results tommorow.

Back
Top Bottom