• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

30-06 starline brass loose case necks

Hunterrs

Wolf Icon Supporter
Frontiersman
104   0
Reaction score
I have 50 or so star line brass that don’t have enough neck tension. This brass has been full length resized, trimmed, wet tumbled, then tumbled in cob with nu finish. They will fit in a case Gauge. My first thought was to resize again and see if this fixes it. I used a set of RCBS originally but have since bought the Lee ultimate 4 die set. Would it be better to use the neck size die, or just full length size them again? Starline is really good brass and I want to use it. What say you, ODT Reloading brain trust?

Try resizing again. You should be able set the die up high so it only sizes the neck. Not sure which gauge you are using and don't have experience with those specific dies you have but if it were me I have had best results from using a Redding Type-S full length sizing die with appropriate neck bushing, then hitting it with a 21st century mandrel, and check with ballistic tools gauge to make sure it has the right and consistent tension I'm looking for. With the gauge you can also get an actual measurement to be more precise with it and help in troubleshooting.

Die:

Bushing like this (need to measure loaded round or neck thickness to determine appropriate size and your desired neck tension)

Mandrel:

Tension gauge:

How many times has the brass been reloaded? I've never had a case with weak neck tension in anything other than an improperly set Lee collet die. Size it again and see if the problem persists

The only time I have had neck tension problems was in brass that had been shot several times and therefore needed to be anealed.…
Good point. Annealing will definitely allow it to resize easier and cause it to be more consistent with neck tension. I anneal every firing with an AMP Annealer.

Back
Top Bottom