• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

22lr through a 5.56 suppressor?

I'm not really sure that a sonic cleaner will get inside the can and do the job.

I'm sure the solution will get in there fine, but it seems to me the sound waves would simply hit the outside and bounce off.

Maybe you'd get some action near the holes in each end, but I wouldn't expect them to propagate down the baffle stack. After all, that's what a sound suppressor does.

I'm not really sure that a sonic cleaner will get inside the can and do the job.

I'm sure the solution will get in there fine, but it seems to me the sound waves would simply hit the outside and bounce off.

Maybe you'd get some action near the holes in each end, but I wouldn't expect them to propagate down the baffle stack. After all, that's what a sound suppressor does.
The sound waves vibrate the fluid itself. The can is almost of no consequence.

Yup... I just wasn't sure if they would actually propagate through the various holes in the baffles to get all the way inside the can.

Fluid or air, I would think they would lose a lot of energy going through all those restrictions.

Never really tried to clean even a serviceable can with a sonic cleaner though, so I'm just thinking out loud here.

Yup... I just wasn't sure if they would actually propagate through the various holes in the baffles to get all the way inside the can.

Fluid or air, I would think they would lose a lot of energy going through all those restrictions.

Never really tried to clean even a serviceable can with a sonic cleaner though, so I'm just thinking out loud here.
I get ya, I don’t have either the non serviceable can or a sonic cleaner.
But I worked with a Gun Shop owner, manufacture, etc, had about every FFL license. Can’t remember if he was Marine or Ranger armourer, but he was the most knowledgeable individual about guns and all things related I’d ever met.
we had the cleaner in the shop, and after he went shooting he came back monday and dropped them in. Came back clean as a whistle. We also did them for the public.
He is the one that taught me to run them wet or filled with grease to make them stupid quiet. Messy though…

This is exactly what I’ve been considering. regardless of shooting 22lr or not the ability to internally clean a non serviceable suppressor via ultrasonic cleaner seems like a wise thing to do.

Has anyone here done this? Does it really clean it out thoroughly enough? If so I’m sold
I can't remember now what forum it was on that I read about it, but there was a big discussion about cleaning non user serviceable cans.

Ultrasonic cleaner seemed to be the most popular method. I know there were some saying they weighed their cans and they were several ounces heavier than they should have been. They also said it took multiple cycles to get them clean, but they were able to get them back to nearly the original weight.

My ultrasonic cleaner must be a turd because it's a big waste of time cleaning suppressor parts.

I personally would not shoot a lot of 22lr through any sealed cans I planned on keeping.

Back
Top Bottom