• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

22lr meet and greet - with a twist

ReservoirDawg10

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
406   1
Reaction score
I was chatting with Shrek926 Shrek926 . After some back and forth, ended on how the shooting sports is doing a terrible job of bringing new shooters into the sport. I feel like we do a good job taking care of kids who show up to an event, but don't do much of anything to bring more in from ground zero.

So, Shrek had a great idea. How bout a 22lr meet and greet, and you need to bring a kid. Of course, you can bring your own kiddos, but even better, bring one of their friends as well. Entire family if they would want to join. Preferably from a household that does not expose them to 2A and shooting sports.

FWIS, I do realize that there are good places for kids to go learn how to shoot, like Project Appleseed. We want to do something a lil different. Think family reunion style. Depending on interest and such, possibly do a pig roast and pot luck lunch/dinner as well. Keep the whole thing family-oriented.

Any interest here? I can bring some rifles and pistols of various types and would be happy to donate some ammo to the cause.

As most of y’all know, all of our kids shoot competitively. We take for granted that it’s commonplace given the community we are involved with. I’ve coached and taught marksmanship, given away unknown amounts of ammunition, gear, and guns... but I still feel like there has been a failure. I’ve spent unfathomable amounts of time teaching the fundamentals of marksmanship in 4H/CMP/NRA... but still see it as not actually growing the community.

We discussed having an atmosphere that attracts and holds attention. Get kids unplugged from electronics and behind firearms in a safe environment. I will dedicate to have firearms, and ammunition enough for 4-6 kids. Between myself and family we have 2 coaches, a State Champion, and two NROI Range officers who can help. I know we all have a heart to give and support, but what we are discussing is actual time invested on the range. The giggle the first time they hear the “pink!” Of hitting steel should be addictive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was chatting with Shrek926 Shrek926 . After some back and forth, ended on how the shooting sports is doing a terrible job of bringing new shooters into the sport. I feel like we do a good job taking care of kids who show up to an event, but don't do much of anything to bring more in from ground zero.

So, Shrek had a great idea. How bout a 22lr meet and greet, and you need to bring a kid. Of course, you can bring your own kiddos, but even better, bring one of their friends as well. Entire family if they would want to join. Preferably from a household that does not expose them to 2A and shooting sports.

FWIS, I do realize that there are good places for kids to go learn how to shoot, like Project Appleseed. We want to do something a lil different. Think family reunion style. Depending on interest and such, possibly do a pig roast and pot luck lunch/dinner as well. Keep the whole thing family-oriented.

Any interest here? I can bring some rifles and pistols of various types and would be happy to donate some ammo to the cause.
How old does the kid need to be? My kids are already grown and learned to shoot.

How about a new shooter?

How old does the kid need to be? My kids are already grown and learned to shoot.

How about a new shooter?
The general idea here is new shooter, although anyone is invited. I wouldn't put an age requirement on it any direction, outside of what a range may apply. They need to be safe. That will be the primary focus.

I am so in. My boys, and some friends kids, are backyard commandos. They would love this.

clp clp , thoughts? Have you hosted something like yhis? Would you like to?
We hosted a group a few years back, everything was around BB guns, air soft, and nerf guns, we squaded by age. Several companies donated food, drinks, plates, air rifles, Air Soft, and Nerf guns. Walmart even gave a few $20.00 gift cards.

As Shrek926 Shrek926 mention the instructor/ RSO need to have worked with children before. The big problem is people that say they will help never show up. With group of children, everyone should have a back ground check. Just so the parents and Range is safe. Advertising for youth brings out all sorts of trash.

I would be glad to help at any level or location! <clp>

We hosted a group a few years back, everything was around BB guns, air soft, and nerf guns, we squaded by age. Several companies donated food, drinks, plates, air rifles, Air Soft, and Nerf guns. Walmart even gave a few $20.00 gift cards.

As Shrek926 Shrek926 mention the instructor/ RSO need to have worked with children before. The big problem is people that say they will help never show up. With group of children, everyone should have a back ground check. Just so the parents and Range is safe. Advertising for youth brings out all sorts of trash.

Well, dang. Guess I'll just show up and hand kids guns and ammo

We would be good on the background aspect. Carry permits for one, and wife and I are both 4H certified with backgrounds through UGA and County Extension office.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: clp
Back
Top Bottom