• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had something similar years ago. ATF called and were investigating someone for international gun running that I had sold two guns to about a year apart. Told me I had done nothing wrong, but wanted to know if I had the serial numbers for the guns. Didn't have them and I never heard anything else.

Speaking for myself as a private gun owner and not as a lawyer advising a client,
I'd be inclined to cooperate. Once I'm sure that I'm talking with a genuine ATF agent or other law-enforcement officer not potentially some scammer or ConMan who is impersonating a cop just to get my private info.

Being in the business of selling guns without an FFL is a crime and should be a crime. Violations of this law should be prosecuted.

Knowingly selling stolen guns (with criminal intent, or a "wink and nod" attitude intended to give you plausible deniability) is also a crime that should be vigorously prosecuted. We at ODT, and we in the gun community, should make sure criminals get caught and the cops get the evidence they need (which could be exculpatory evidence, too. Tending to show somebody's innocent!)

My cooperation would not make me nervous because I would know that I've done nothing wrong, and there would not even be an appearance of impropriety in any of my deals. But If I couldn't say that, if I had bought guns under shady circumstances that made me look like I was taking advantage of a seller who is trying to offload some hot guns cheap, or that I was buying them at below market value and immediately turning around and flipping them for a profit, that would be a different story because even though the cops tell me they're not targeting me they're targeting some other dude, a guy who it looks like was selling tons of stolen guns...

... if the cops find out during their investigation that it looks like I've been dealing in firearms without a license, or I but guns that I knew or should have known were stolen or otherwise contraband, then they could certainly nail me too.
ATF could bring me into the case as another defendant.

Speaking for myself as a private gun owner and not as a lawyer advising a client,
I'd be inclined to cooperate. Once I'm sure that I'm talking with a genuine ATF agent or other law-enforcement officer not potentially some scammer or ConMan who is impersonating a cop just to get my private info.

Being in the business of selling guns without an FFL is a crime and should be a crime. Violations of this law should be prosecuted.

Knowingly selling stolen guns (with criminal intent, or a "wink and nod" attitude intended to give you plausible deniability) is also a crime that should be vigorously prosecuted. We at ODT, and we in the gun community, should make sure criminals get caught and the cops get the evidence they need (which could be exculpatory evidence, too. Tending to show somebody's innocent!)

My cooperation would not make me nervous because I would know that I've done nothing wrong, and there would not even be an appearance of impropriety in any of my deals. But If I couldn't say that, if I had bought guns under shady circumstances that made me look like I was taking advantage of a seller who is trying to offload some hot guns cheap, or that I was buying them at below market value and immediately turning around and flipping them for a profit, that would be a different story because even though the cops tell me they're not targeting me they're targeting some other dude, a guy who it looks like was selling tons of stolen guns...

... if the cops find out during their investigation that it looks like I've been dealing in firearms without a license, or I but guns that I knew or should have known were stolen or otherwise contraband, then they could certainly nail me too.
ATF could bring me into the case as another defendant.

this makes a ton of sense and I appreciate you taking the time to offer your insight. I’ve been on the trader for a long time and can honestly say I’ve never dealt with any sketchy personalities. I also have never made money on anything I’ve purchased or traded for on here. The reason this situation is so bizarre is because I have specifically only met up with folks I was very confident were legit, legal gun owners. I do not want to comprise the integrity of their case but I can at least share that this person worked for a local firearm manufacturer and apparently sold many firearms from “his personal collection” but were in essence firearms he had no business selling. For me, I only purchased accessories from him and will likely not be used as a witness at this point.

I have been more than happy to cooperate with the agent I’ve been speaking to as I also agree that if we want to protect our ability to enjoy buy, selling, and trading firearms than we need to weed out the folks who could compromise that for us. I also work in a fairly high profile government agency and can not risk being tied up in messy business.

Be safe everyone!

this makes a ton of sense and I appreciate you taking the time to offer your insight. I’ve been on the trader for a long time and can honestly say I’ve never dealt with any sketchy personalities. I also have never made money on anything I’ve purchased or traded for on here. The reason this situation is so bizarre is because I have specifically only met up with folks I was very confident were legit, legal gun owners. I do not want to comprise the integrity of their case but I can at least share that this person worked for a local firearm manufacturer and apparently sold many firearms from “his personal collection” but were in essence firearms he had no business selling. For me, I only purchased accessories from him and will likely not be used as a witness at this point.

I have been more than happy to cooperate with the agent I’ve been speaking to as I also agree that if we want to protect our ability to enjoy buy, selling, and trading firearms than we need to weed out the folks who could compromise that for us. I also work in a fairly high profile government agency and can not risk being tied up in messy business.

Be safe everyone!
Yikes man, this sounds pretty serious if he worked for a manufacturer and was offloading stuff that wasn't his. Whoever this person is, is in some deep ****. Goes to show you never know who you're dealing with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom