• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

22 Silencer, which one?

Make sure it can handle magnum rounds, 17hmr, 22 wm.

I own two because the first one couldnt, so I had to buy another and another tax stamp!

How much does it help?
I shot my .22LR rifle, 22" barrel, with hyper-velocity ammo with and without my silencer.
Then I compared it to a .22 WMR rifle with a 22" barrel (not threaded) without any suppressor.
They all sounded about the same. Shooting CCI Stingers thru the can didn't quiet them down very much, and therefore I think (predict) that shooting .22 magnums out of a suppressed rifle with about the same barrel length wouldn't make that much of a difference either.

Of course if the rifles in question had only 16" barrels, that might make more of a difference, since the chamber pressure would be a lot higher in the magnum bore.

I own the SpectreII and it works great. Helpful cleaning trick. Get several boxes of Chore Boy stainless cleaning pads for about $3.50/box. These with some light gun oil will really clean up everything quick without having to worry about disposing of the "dip". Pulling one down the empty tube a couple of times will remove all the carbon and lead buildup. Once you clean a 22lr can after a big range day, you'll appreciate this info.

I have dead air mask HD. I was firing out of my 10/22 and M&P pistol on the deck with CCI SV. My wife was less than 10' on the other side of the slider and couldnt even hear it.

Thunderbolts still have the crack after fired but the SV dont and they reliably cycle the slide.

Got mine at Ga gun store, took 18 months with a trust.

Looking for a 9mm one next

A few weeks ago, I tested CCI Quiet ammo out of my 18" barreled (non -threaded) .22 rifle, in my garage, with the door open.
I thought, "this is so quiet, I don't think having a silencer on this gun would make much of a difference."

Yesterday I was shooting out in the woods, and I did that test. Except it was with a different Ruger 10/22 that had a 22" long threaded barrel. Fired three shots without any suppressor. Then quickly put the can on and fired two more. The suppressor barely made a difference. Maybe enough to notice, but surely not much of a reduction in noise to justify the NFA compliance costs and hassles associated with a silencer, if all you want to do is plink at your backyard range without disturbing the neighbors.

Then, I tested the can on / can off difference with full-power, high velocity supersonic ammo. This batch was Remington Golden Bullets. I've done this test before with CCI Mini Mags, too.
A few shots with the can, and a few shots without the can, all in under a minute.
Not much difference there, either! Those supersonic rounds make a sharp "crack" no matter what, and the silencer didn't mitigate the overall noise level much.

(The bullet impact was not significant either-- I aimed at the rotting stump of a long-dead tree. I didn't hear any bullet impact from that, like I would, and had earlier in the day, shooting suppressed rimfires into freshly-cut hardwood, dirt berms, or metal plate targets.)

CONCLUSION: In .22LR rifles, a suppressor / silencer is only "worth it" if you need semi-auto operation and a bullet that comes close to, but does not exceed, Mach 1.0. Meaning, standard velocity or match-grade ammo, or ammo marked as "subsonic." That kind of ammunition is what a rimfire silencer is best at quieting.

Well, mine finally approved after 350+ days. Now I just have to wait for the stamp to hit the dealer :). I celebrated approval buy picking up a really sweet threaded buckmark I've always wanted from a great member here. Thanks solgardener I love it!!!

A few weeks ago, I tested CCI Quiet ammo out of my 18" barreled (non -threaded) .22 rifle, in my garage, with the door open.
I thought, "this is so quiet, I don't think having a silencer on this gun would make much of a difference."

Yesterday I was shooting out in the woods, and I did that test. Except it was with a different Ruger 10/22 that had a 22" long threaded barrel. Fired three shots without any suppressor. Then quickly put the can on and fired two more. The suppressor barely made a difference. Maybe enough to notice, but surely not much of a reduction in noise to justify the NFA compliance costs and hassles associated with a silencer, if all you want to do is plink at your backyard range without disturbing the neighbors.

Then, I tested the can on / can off difference with full-power, high velocity supersonic ammo. This batch was Remington Golden Bullets. I've done this test before with CCI Mini Mags, too.
A few shots with the can, and a few shots without the can, all in under a minute.
Not much difference there, either! Those supersonic rounds make a sharp "crack" no matter what, and the silencer didn't mitigate the overall noise level much.

(The bullet impact was not significant either-- I aimed at the rotting stump of a long-dead tree. I didn't hear any bullet impact from that, like I would, and had earlier in the day, shooting suppressed rimfires into freshly-cut hardwood, dirt berms, or metal plate targets.)

CONCLUSION: In .22LR rifles, a suppressor / silencer is only "worth it" if you need semi-auto operation and a bullet that comes close to, but does not exceed, Mach 1.0. Meaning, standard velocity or match-grade ammo, or ammo marked as "subsonic." That kind of ammunition is what a rimfire silencer is best at quieting.
Well, of course. You can't tame sonic crack with a can. That's now how physics work.

If you are using a 10/22, the action slap is around 115 DB's, louder is still using the factory metal receiver pin. 115db is around what most 22 cans quiet a "standard" velocity round.

Also, FRP is real on the vast majority of cans, even those that specifically state no FRP.

Well, of course. You can't tame sonic crack with a can. That's now how physics work.

If you are using a 10/22, the action slap is around 115 DB's, louder is still using the factory metal receiver pin. 115db is around what most 22 cans quiet a "standard" velocity round.

Also, FRP is real on the vast majority of cans, even those that specifically state no FRP.

My 10/22's have nylon / synthetic buffer pins, not the original steel ones.

Anyhow, the Rem Golden Bullets were loud in front of the muzzle-- the sound we heard was a gunshot, NOT a metallic slapping sound coming from the action. Not even close. That was a non-issue.

And First Round Pop was not an issue-- each test involved multiple shots both with and without the can. I gave the silencer a warm, oxygen-deprived environment in which it would work the best.

My 10/22's have nylon / synthetic buffer pins, not the original steel ones.
And First Round Pop was not an issue-- each test involved multiple shots both with and without the can. I gave the silencer a warm, oxygen-deprived environment in which it would work the best.
The 10/22 action is still very noisy. The 22lr suppresses extremely well. If you aren't hearing a difference, you need to have ears checked. Shooting cci quiets in a bolt gun, you can literally hear the firing pin drop with a can on it.

There is something very off if the difference between can on or can off is not immediately noticeable.

Back
Top Bottom