• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

2019 College football smack...

So Saban said Auburn will be "the best team we've played thus year." Wait. Wut?
:pound: What a tool. I guess his feelers are still hurt a little. :lol:

GeauxLSU, I laughed at that comment as well. But, Saban has to build up Auburn to the committee. Not being in the SEC Championship Game, hurts Alabama's chances of getting in the final four. So, Saban wants the committee to know that Auburn is the "best team" they have played. Though Auburn has lost to Florida, LSU and Georgia, their defense is dang good. Auburn, if they are motivated, can give Alabama a loss this Saturday. Alabama has to win and I feel they have to win BIG. Going to be a tough job to win big, but we will see.

GeauxLSU, I laughed at that comment as well. But, Saban has to build up Auburn to the committee. Not being in the SEC Championship Game, hurts Alabama's chances of getting in the final four. So, Saban wants the committee to know that Auburn is the "best team" they have played. Though Auburn has lost to Florida, LSU and Georgia, their defense is dang good. Auburn, if they are motivated, can give Alabama a loss this Saturday. Alabama has to win and I feel they have to win BIG. Going to be a tough job to win big, but we will see.
It made Saban just sound transparent.
I find it virtually impossible to believe a 1 loss Bama isn't in. UNLESS, LSU loses a close well played game to UGA.
But who knows with the committee. Their love for OSU obviously continues.

I even scratched my head a little when Saban made that comment. He's no idiot though, he knows he has to do what's in his power to elevate his teams chance of making the playoff. I think every coach in America would do the same for their program. I remember a few years ago when Bama was on the outside looking in and he flew into whatever town ESPN was hosting gameday at to lay out his case for Bama being chosen when they didn't even make it to the SEC title game. It must have worked as they snuck into the last playoff spot, I believe over Ohio State who just won the Big 10 title over Wisconsin that year.

I'm not a 100% if Malzahn can get his players motivated even for Bama. After the loss to UGA at home, Auburn is only able to play the role of spoiler now. Not quite sure how much the players care about that since there is no SECCG to contend for. Obviously, a 10 win season is on the line for them with the chance of good New Years Bowl game to play for but with the offense still sputtering, I'm still a little pessimistic if the defense can hold Bama down even with the backup QB playing. I plan on going to the game and can't wait to get the pulse of the crowd on Saturday.

Reactions: JWC
If, and it is to me a really big "if", Derrick Brown comes to play like he has done all year long, Auburn's defense is going to be a hand full for Alabama. The defense feeds off the motor that Derrick Brown brings to the game. Auburn is not playing for the SECCG. Will being the spoiler sufficiently motivate Derrick Brown and thus the rest of the Auburn defense? That, to me, is the question that will possibly decide the Aurburn/Alabama game. But hey, what do I know?

I even scratched my head a little when Saban made that comment. He's no idiot though, he knows he has to do what's in his power to elevate his teams chance of making the playoff. I think every coach in America would do the same for their program. I remember a few years ago when Bama was on the outside looking in and he flew into whatever town ESPN was hosting gameday at to lay out his case for Bama being chosen when they didn't even make it to the SEC title game. It must have worked as they snuck into the last playoff spot, I believe over Ohio State who just won the Big 10 title over Wisconsin that year.

I'm not a 100% if Malzahn can get his players motivated even for Bama. After the loss to UGA at home, Auburn is only able to play the role of spoiler now. Not quite sure how much the players care about that since there is no SECCG to contend for. Obviously, a 10 win season is on the line for them with the chance of good New Years Bowl game to play for but with the offense still sputtering, I'm still a little pessimistic if the defense can hold Bama down even with the backup QB playing. I plan on going to the game and can't wait to get the pulse of the crowd on Saturday.

Not a Au fan but I agree with your thoughts. It could be a shame if your thoughts on their motivation is true, because if so, it's going to absolutely propel Bama into the playoffs. While there is a chance UGA beats LSU, it's very low in my opinion. Heck, LSU may want to let UGA win. They are by far the least consistent team in the top 5. No way they could beat LSU twice. Clemson, Ohio State, Bama all will be score fests.

Latest rankings are out and both the AP and Coaches agree on the top 10. which is a bit unusual. 4 SEC teams in the top 10 (Auburn is #11). Bama hasn't finished out of the top 10 since 2007 (when they were unranked). And for most of those years they were #1 or 2. I assume they'll win whatever bowl game they go to, but it is quite the change in landscape.

Ohio State
-
Clemson
-
Georgia
Utah

Oklahoma

Florida

Baylor

Alabama

Wisconsin

Back