• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

2016 RAM 2500 4X4 recommendations for gears and installer

Slyhall

Default rank <1250 posts
ODT Junkie!
104   0
Reaction score
Looking to install lower gears for a 2016 ram 2500 4x4. Pros/Cons? Looking for a quality place to have it installed.

I'd like to go lower than the factory gear ratio. If i'm not mistaken. Not exactly sure what gear ratio I want but I want it lower than what it would have been factory. Thinking maybe 4.56 gears or lower

2016 ram 2500 6.4L gas
factory 20" wheels with 37" tires

I don't tow anything to heavy or very frequently so its more for driveability.

mainly looking for a quality installer

The factory gears on Ram with 20's and trac pack is 3.92 I believe so if you are putting big meats on there 4.56 sounds about right. 4.11 would be the minimum. I would consult some of the ram Forums and see what gears they are using on a particular tire height. You only want to do it once so research it and make sure before you make a costly mistake.

The factory gears on Ram with 20's and trac pack is 3.92
The 3.92 was only available on the 1500's. 2500 6.4's had either 3.73 or 4.10.

I've got basically the same truck (2014, 35's, 3.73) and interested to see the responses on installers. I've been considering 4.56 or even 4.88 but mine is primarily for towing.

If you get me the last eight of your vin number I can tell you what it came with from the factory, that said the 6.4 trucks have a weaker transmission and will run hotter with lower gears, heat is bad for any transmission. Also your fuel economy with 4.56 gears will probably be around 6 miles to the gallon and you will be running a max speed of about 65 mph @ about 2800 rpm.

will run hotter with lower gears, heat is bad for any transmission. Also your fuel economy with 4.56 gears will probably be around 6 miles to the gallon and you will be running a max speed of about 65 mph @ about 2800 rpm
Why would it run hotter or limit speed?
Factory tire size was 33" diameter with 20" wheels. 4.10 gears was a factory option. Increasing the tire diameter to 37" would require 4.6 gears to match the driveshaft speed of 33" tires with 4.10 gears. 4.56 gears with 37" tires would match the factory overall ratio. Yes there will be a fuel economy hit from stock, but he is already seeing that with the tires already on it.

My 1500 quad cab got 9 Miles to the gallon and 11 on the highway. I totaled that truck. It was a 2002 with a 350 magnum. I replaced it with a 2004 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4. It had 42,000 original miles on it when I bought it last year. It has the 5.3L, basically 327cid. This thing gets unbelievable gas milage. I use to have to stop twice for gas from Georgia to hear in Virginia. Now I can leave my sister's house in Conyers and drive all the way to my house in Big Island on one tank of gas. I put Z-MAX in it the last time I made the drive. The low fuel light use to come on between my house and Lynchburg ( 18 miles from my house ) and the last time with Z-MAX I had a quarter of a tank when I pulled in the driveway. That's driving on average 82 mph. These little LS engines are a stroke of genius. Well LM7 basically a iron block LS.

Why would it run hotter or limit speed?
Factory tire size was 33" diameter with 20" wheels. 4.10 gears was a factory option. Increasing the tire diameter to 37" would require 4.6 gears to match the driveshaft speed of 33" tires with 4.10 gears. 4.56 gears with 37" tires would match the factory overall ratio. Yes there will be a fuel economy hit from stock, but he is already seeing that with the tires already on it.
The trans will run hotter due to increased load, and higher rpm/s. speed will be limited because of the rpm load. Been working on, up fitting Ram trucks since 2004, Gears lower than 4:10 on a 6.4 truck with the 66fre trans are not a good idea for long service of the trans and engine.

Back
Top Bottom