• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

2005 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7 HEMI. Engine shut off while driving 50mph?

I have a 97 ford died going over a set of railroad tracks just after filling up with 4$ gas.
Fuel pump. It's still sittling where the wrecker left it 3 years later...

I would look at the fuze for the fuel pump, could have popped. I think the reset for the pump was to remove the fuze for 5 minutes and reinstall.
If not that try jumpering the fuel pump relay. Use some stout wire it will get hot. If okay then read the resistance through the pump from the relay should be low maybe around 5-20 ohms.
if I remember correctly the pump will not run unless the coil is firing (computer) that’s why I would jumper the relay.
If...if you have to change the pump, it’s easier to remove the bed for access instead of dropping the tank.

I would look at the fuze for the fuel pump, could have popped. I think the reset for the pump was to remove the fuze for 5 minutes and reinstall.
If not that try jumpering the fuel pump relay. Use some stout wire it will get hot. If okay then read the resistance through the pump from the relay should be low maybe around 5-20 ohms.
if I remember correctly the pump will not run unless the coil is firing (computer) that’s why I would jumper the relay.
If...if you have to change the pump, it’s easier to remove the bed for access instead of dropping the tank.

Changing the pump by dropping tank. Bed is to heavy to lift off by myself.

Why does it always happen with in days of filling the tank? Never when you have been riding with the light on. Gas weighs 6.3 pounds and it's a 26 gallon tank plus empty tank weight.

Why does it always happen with in days of filling the tank? Never when you have been riding with the light on. Gas weighs 6.3 pounds and it's a 26 gallon tank plus empty tank weight.
A full tank leaves less air in the tank. If the fuel that leaves is not replaced by air, then the remaining air is under vacuum until the fuel can no longer be pumped out.

A full tank leaves less air in the tank. If the fuel that leaves is not replaced by air, then the remaining air is under vacuum until the fuel can no longer be pumped out.

Yeah but it's a heavy muther to wrestle on the ground with over 20 gallons in it. I think all my muscles ache!

Back
Top Bottom